Question Will a GTX 1660 replace a Radeon 7500?

roderickdav

Honorable
Apr 26, 2018
My PC has fairly good specs except for the GPU which is a Radeon 7500. It's a Dell Vostro 470. I suspect that the GPU will need replacing soon. Will a GTX 1660 be a suitable replacement ? The PSU is 460W.
I use it for Audio recording. I play games sometimes but am not hard core gamer.
The specs are:
i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
14G Ram
One 500 Gb SSD and one 2Tb SSD

My PC has fairly good specs except for the GPU which is a Radeon 7500. It's a Dell Vostro 470. I suspect that the GPU will need replacing soon. Will a GTX 1660 be a suitable replacement ? The PSU is 460W.
I use it for Audio recording. I play games sometimes but am not hard core gamer.
The specs are:
i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
14G Ram
One 500 Gb SSD and one 2Tb SSD
Yes, much better card but needs an 8 pin power connector from PSU.

That's not a Radeon 7500, it's a Radeon HD 7570 and yeah, it's not going to be of much use at this point. It was an entry-level card when it was new. The thing is, back then, Intel motherboards had this gimmick where they claimed to have PCI-Express 3.0 slots. Technically, they did, but PCI-Express 3.0 only operated in x8 mode which was no faster than PCI-Express 2.0 x16, which is why I called it a gimmick. The motherboard itself could bottleneck the card's performance so you might want something less expensive like a GTX 1650. The GTX 1650 doesn't require any extra power connectors and would probably have similar (if not identical) performance to the GTX 1660 on that motherboard.

Reactions: Exploding PSU

roderickdav

Honorable
Apr 26, 2018
That's not a Radeon 7500, it's a Radeon HD 7570 and yeah, it's not going to be of much use at this point. It was an entry-level card when it was new. The thing is, back then, Intel motherboards had this gimmick where they claimed to have PCI-Express 3.0 slots. Technically, they did, but PCI-Express 3.0 only operated in x8 mode which was no faster than PCI-Express 2.0 x16, which is why I called it a gimmick. The motherboard itself could bottleneck the card's performance so you might want something less expensive like a GTX 1650. The GTX 1650 doesn't require any extra power connectors and would probably have similar (if not identical) performance to the GTX 1660 on that motherboard.
Hey, thanks for that, sorry for the delayed response, I didn't get an email notification that anyone answered. You're right about the 7570, it was a 7500 'series' not a 7500 GPU. I'm in Brisbane, Australia and the local shops don't have many 1650s - I'd have to get one mail order and shipping would negate the price advantage. There currently are more 1660s available, however there are also some RTX3050s and AMD RX 6600s for around the same price as the 1660. Do you know which of these would be more compatible? I have two unused 6 pin connectors and the PSU is 460w.

Reactions: Avro Arrow
Hey, thanks for that, sorry for the delayed response, I didn't get an email notification that anyone answered. You're right about the 7570, it was a 7500 'series' not a 7500 GPU. I'm in Brisbane, Australia and the local shops don't have many 1650s - I'd have to get one mail order and shipping would negate the price advantage. There currently are more 1660s available, however there are also some RTX3050s and AMD RX 6600s for around the same price as the 1660. Do you know which of these would be more compatible? I have two unused 6 pin connectors and the PSU is 460w.
Depending on what the make and model of your PSU is, TechPowerUp only recommends a 300W PSU for the RX 6600. This is available:
Sapphire Radeon RX 6600 Pulse 8GB - $309AUD

Thanks, I'll check that out. The PSU is Dell, it's probably not made by them but as the PC is already 11 years old and there's never been a problem, I'd think it's a good quality.
I'm glad to hear it. I don't think that even Dell uses PSUs below 300W so you should be alright. The only really questionable factor is the PSU's age becaues 11 years is pretty old for a PSU.

roderickdav

Honorable
Apr 26, 2018
I'm glad to hear it. I don't think that even Dell uses PSUs below 300W so you should be alright. The only really questionable factor is the PSU's age becaues 11 years is pretty old for a PSU.
Yeah, I've been wondering whether I should upgrade it. After I change the GPU, the motherboard and CPU will be the only original parts left in the PC and PSUs are on sale here at the moment- 500W for $50-$70.

Reactions: Avro Arrow
Yeah, I've been wondering whether I should upgrade it. After I change the GPU, the motherboard and CPU will be the only original parts left in the PC and PSUs are on sale here at the moment- 500W for $50-$70.
Just make sure that it's a good one. A crappy PSU that says 500W is probably only really 400W. What you need is 500W at the +12V rail. A lot of cheap PSUs show a rating of 500W but a lot of it is on the +5V rail which is essentially useless these days.