Question Will a GTX 650 Work with ASUS Prime B660M-A D4 LGA 1700 Motherboard?

Entopian

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2014
So I am building a new PC and I am just using the GTX 650 as a temporary card while I save up money for a better one but I am concerned that such an old graphics card that would not work with a new Motherboard. Also using an i5 12400.

Should work just fine but really isn't much faster than the UHD Graphics 730 IGP built into the i5 12400, so you should try that first, might be pleasantly surprised.

Of course if that discrete card has a video output type that your motherboard lacks and your monitor needs, then it does only use 4x the power and drivers that ended with v470 in May 2021 (which is still pretty recent) so should be perfectly OK

Joe Gallo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2015
Yeah like others said, igpu might be the way to go, anything older than a 770/780 and you’re really starting to push minimum requirements if you’re not playing games like csgo or league.

Pcie is backwards compatible gpu and storage, you just get limited to the older speeds and bandwidth.

Drivers being outdated by two years isn’t a great thing especially with security in this day in age I wouldn’t leave it in there too long if you don’t have to. I’d also save a buck and go down from lga1700 if you don’t plan on upgrading the gpu in the future, or if you’re not buying a i3 with plans to upgrade later.