Will a GTX 960 work in a Dell Inspiron 660 (in terms of BIOS/motherboard compatibility)?

himmatsj

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014
I will be getting a new power supply unit as well should I buy this, and I am looking to get a 6.7-inch single-fan version of the card. So both power and size are not an issue here.

My only worry is, will this be compatible with my PC?

I have the Mini Tower version with an i5 3330 CPU and 8GB of RAM. The motherboard is listed as 0XR1GT. It has UEFI with SMBIOS version 2.7.

Currently, I have a GTX 750 running with no issue.

Will this be able to support a GTX 960? And hypothetically speaking, should it be able to support a 1000-series card (GTX 1070 for example) should I plan to upgrade to that in the future?

Thanks!

Solution

That power supply...

jazzy663

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014
There should not be any problem. Every once in a while you will come across a board that doesn't like a specific card, but that doesn't happen too often. As long as you get a power supply that can supply ample power to the card (keep in mind PCI-E power connectors) there shouldn't be an issue.

Please do, however, make sure there is enough space inside the case for the new card to fit. OEM cases tend to have little space.

himmatsj

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014

Space is not an issue. The 960 I am getting is from EVGA, same size as the current 750 I have (6.7-inches).

As for power, I am getting an EVGA 600W B1 PSU, which should be enough as well I guess for these purposes. Every component otherwise in my PC is stock and none are overclocked.

jazzy663

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014

That power supply, on paper, should not have an issue. EVGA power supplies are usually hit-or-miss, sometimes they're good and sometimes not so good. Looks like the B1 is a Tier 3 unit. Not great but not really bad either. You should be fine.

Solution