Will a Hawking Access Point Improve my indoor and outdoor range and speeds?

duffdry

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013
My internet speeds presently run at about 58Mbps wired but only 15Mbps wireless with the supplied router. I'd like to improve my wireless speed and range.

I'm considering connecting VIA wires a Hawking Access Point in my attic to improve both indoor and outdoor speeds and range.

Has anyone done this? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Solution
Some of the Verizon FiOS ActionTec routers are limited to 20Mbps via WiFi. No matter what your actual connection speed. I looked this up a while ago, but cannot find the reference again.

My FiOS connection is 50/25.
Wired, as almost everything here is, is consistently 55Mbps+/30Mbps.
WiFi, right around 20/20.

I've not tried to change it because of the very little WiFi I use. My Kindle and the camera Eye-fi are the only wireless devices. And it currently 'works'. Changing the hardware may make it better, but may screw things up altogether.

So....a wired access point may give you a better WiFi connection.
Have not used hawking stuff in a while since any router can be a AP. Hard to say if the range will be better if you were to just use the new AP. If you were to use both then you would have 2 areas of coverage and if you were careful that they do not interfere you would have better range in that sense.

It tends to be impossible to even guess if you will get much improvement. Some houses seem to absorb huge amounts of wireless signal.

The first thing you really need to do is run INSSIDER and make sure your issue is not due to you channel selection. Lately slow wireless is more related to too many people competing over it than the equipment not having good coverage.

duffdry

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013
It does appear as though many people are also on Wi-Fi here and I am sure that contributes to my problem. Is there a product that you recommend? I am using the router which Verizon supplies with their FiOS service.

USAFRet

Titan
Some of the Verizon FiOS ActionTec routers are limited to 20Mbps via WiFi. No matter what your actual connection speed. I looked this up a while ago, but cannot find the reference again.

My FiOS connection is 50/25.
Wired, as almost everything here is, is consistently 55Mbps+/30Mbps.
WiFi, right around 20/20.

I've not tried to change it because of the very little WiFi I use. My Kindle and the camera Eye-fi are the only wireless devices. And it currently 'works'. Changing the hardware may make it better, but may screw things up altogether.

So....a wired access point may give you a better WiFi connection.

Solution

duffdry

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013
Before Comcast started providing routers, I was able to get 35Mbps both up and down via wireless with the older "G" router. Now that everyone has a router, I get about 18Mbps down and 10Mbps up.

I am considering a business class outdoor access point for my attic. Hawking and EnGenius are two names I heard of. Has anyone tried this?

I have used the directional engenius devices most for point to point bridging and they pretty much work as advertised. I tend to like ubiquiti airgrid for point to point though. The main issue you will likely have is that the antenna are designed to send the signal horizontally in parallel to the floor and ceiling. You likely will get poor signal directly under the router. This is similar to issues people have going between floors.