[SOLVED] Will a HDD make noise when not in use?

fobos8

Commendable
Nov 30, 2019
Hi guys
I'd like to get a 3.5" HDD for my PC for storage of films. I'm sensitive to noise, will this HDD drive make noise when not in use?
Cheers, Andrew

Solution
it shouldn't.
"when not in use" you should know includes things that have nothing to do with the drive. opening windows explorer to look at the folders on an SSD, for example, can poll and wake the HDD. Explorer will wake the drives and they will spin up even if you are not accessing it.
that spin up makes noise.

How much storage will you need? the quietest solution would be SSD's with no moving parts.
I would suggest an external solution. something than can be disconnected when not needed, this will be the quietest HDD solution, off. an external can be placed in something else that can quieten it down further. a cardboard box, a drawer in the desk, a closet...

which brings up a NAS drive, a network attached Hard drive that ca be...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
it shouldn't.
"when not in use" you should know includes things that have nothing to do with the drive. opening windows explorer to look at the folders on an SSD, for example, can poll and wake the HDD. Explorer will wake the drives and they will spin up even if you are not accessing it.
that spin up makes noise.

How much storage will you need? the quietest solution would be SSD's with no moving parts.
I would suggest an external solution. something than can be disconnected when not needed, this will be the quietest HDD solution, off. an external can be placed in something else that can quieten it down further. a cardboard box, a drawer in the desk, a closet...

which brings up a NAS drive, a network attached Hard drive that ca be placed in a room on the other side of the house, now that is quiet.

Solution

fobos8

Commendable
Nov 30, 2019
Hi Illustrious
I need it for storing point clouds ( each project about 100GB). For current projects being worked on I'll have them on an NVMe but I'm looking for somewhere to put them after I've handed the project in. I always thought that storage should be 2 places local + 1 in the cloud. That means 1 copy on PC, one on NAS and 1 on cloud.

If I have them external to my PC I'd need 2 external copies wouldn't I?
Cheers, Andrew