[SOLVED] Will a HDMI to DVI adapter display an image on a DVI input ONLY monitor?

vigilant19

Prominent
Nov 25, 2019
Will a HDMI to DVI adapter display an image on a DVI input ONLY monitor?

I used an hdmi to dvi adapter from a hdmi output on a laptop to a dvi input on an external monitor and cant get any display image on the second monitor.

Why would anyone mfr a hdmi to dvi adapter if that adapter is incapable if displaying an image on a dvi input monitor?

I use WIN 10 and sent the hdmi output to my 8 yo Viewsonic 2431 monitor. WIN 10 display settings showed NO second monitor detected.

Thank you.

Solution
Would the configuration you drew here enable me to stretch the laptop display across both my Viewsonic monitors and
then use the button on each switch to then display each of both desktop video cards on each of the same 2 Viewsonic monitors?
Splitter doubles same signal to 2 outputs. So both screens will show the same image.
Signal from desktop pc doesn't use splitter, so each screen will show separate image.

Yes, you'll be able to switch between signals from pc to laptop with button on the switch.

vigilant19

Prominent
Nov 25, 2019
I've tried 4 startech hdmi to dvi adapters that were gold plated. None displayed an image. I'm unable to replace them monitors at the moment as I need them daily for my job. I'm surprised the failure rate was 100%. I didn't know the adapters were that unreliable.

I've tried 4 startech hdmi to dvi adapters that were gold plated. None displayed an image. I'm unable to replace them monitors at the moment as I need them daily for my job. I'm surprised the failure rate was 100%. I didn't know the adapters were that unreliable.

They should not be, but you did not say you tried several already. Could be another issue with the system, you said you need them daily, so they are working on another computer OK? You said "monitors" are you trying to connect several? Could use some more details as to what you are doing and what exactly you are connecting with what.

Juan_Bijero

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
I am using an HDMI to VGA adaptor (made by Insignia) which is connected to a 25 year old MAG Innovision XJ700T CRT. It works just fine. I'm guessing that you are using a DVI-D adaptor when you should be using a DVI-I adaptor.

vigilant19

Prominent
Nov 25, 2019
I have a Lenovo laptop with an HDMI out put and I want to display that laptop screen display onto (2) Viewsonic VA2431 monitors.
I bought a hdmi splitter from Amazon and I bought (2) HDMI to DVI-D cables from Amazon and I bought (2) HDMI to DVI-D splitters to allow mt desktop computer to also send its DVI output to both Viewsonic monitors.

The goal was to send my desktop (2) DVI video outputs (I have 2 video cards in my desktop computer) to both Viewsonic monitors and to send (1) laptop HDMI output to both Viewsonic monitors. I have 2 Viewsonic monitors that I want to display BOTH my laptop screen and my Desktop screen.

Yes, my DVI cables are DVI-D and the splitter is DVI-D type.

I bought the DVI cables and splitter thinking as long as they manually inserted into the monitor's DVI port, that they were the correct type??

Thank you.

vigilant19

Prominent
Nov 25, 2019
I am not using an analog VGA connection to either Viewsonic monitor. I am using DVI-D cables to each monitor either from one HDMI laptop port of from each NVIDIA of 2 video card HDMI output ports.

vigilant19

Prominent
Nov 25, 2019
I used a HDMI splitter from the laptop to create 2 DVI-D inputs to the Viewsonic monitors and I used 2 DVI-D cables from my desktop computer to each Viewsonic monitor. I used the DVI-D splitters on each monitor to allow me to display EITHER the laptop screen or the desktop screen without having to disconnect and reconnect the DVI cables each time I switched from the laptop to the desktop computer.

Hope this helps explain my cabling geometry.

Thank you.

I used a HDMI splitter from the laptop to create 2 DVI-D inputs to the Viewsonic monitors and I used 2 DVI-D cables from my desktop computer to each Viewsonic monitor. I used the DVI-D splitters on each monitor
Can you draw a diagram of that setup?
Also show photo of splitters used.

Seems like you're combining multiple signal sources together. You can't do that. For signal combining you have to use switch (not splitter).

Here are the links to each component I bought:

This is, how you'd have to connect them. The problem is, you're using DVI splitter instead of DVI switch.
Splitter has single input, multiple outputs.
Switch has multiple inputs, single output.
Signal direction is important here.

K7uoAaD.jpg

If your monitors had multiple inputs, then you could avoid using DVI switches.

41ZNcP46tlL._AC_SY450_.jpg

This is very different than just a simple HDMI to DVI cable or adapter.

Since you are using a splitter that means you want both displays to show the same thing correct? If not you need something else.

With what you have, use the HDMI splitter, from that connect the HDMI to DVI cable to one, and the other monitor to the other. That DVI single to dual adapter is useless in your case. If you want the monitors to display different things, you need a USB video card use some other video out if your laptop has more than one.

vigilant19

Prominent
Nov 25, 2019
I wanted to stretch the laptop display across BOTH Viewsonic monitors using the HDMI splitter and cables. Didnt work. Was hoping to avoid using the laptop USB out to a splitter then to each of the 2 Viewsonic monitors because the USB adapter only has a WIN 10 driver and the cost for that USB adapter and cables is more than 100 USD more than what I was trying to do with simple HDMI splitter and cables and DVI inputs. Still dont know why I cant display the laptop and the desktop using just 2 female DVI to one male DVI cable adapters.

vigilant19

Prominent
Nov 25, 2019
I wanted to use the 2 female DVI to single DVI male input cable to my 2 Viewsonic monitors because I dont want to have to continuously go back and forth disconnecting and reconnecting the laptop DVI cables and the desktop DVI cables manually at the monitors each time I switch from the laptop to the desktop and vice versa.

vigilant19

Prominent
Nov 25, 2019
This is, how you'd have to connect them. The problem is, you're using DVI splitter instead of DVI switch.
Splitter has single input, multiple outputs.
Switch has multiple inputs, single output.
Signal direction is important here.

K7uoAaD.jpg

If your monitors had multiple inputs, then you could avoid using DVI switches.

41ZNcP46tlL._AC_SY450_.jpg
Would the configuration you drew here enable me to stretch the laptop display across both my Viewsonic monitors and then use the button on each switch to then display each of both desktop video cards on each of the same 2 Viewsonic monitors?
Thank you.

Would the configuration you drew here enable me to stretch the laptop display across both my Viewsonic monitors and
then use the button on each switch to then display each of both desktop video cards on each of the same 2 Viewsonic monitors?
Splitter doubles same signal to 2 outputs. So both screens will show the same image.
Signal from desktop pc doesn't use splitter, so each screen will show separate image.

Yes, you'll be able to switch between signals from pc to laptop with button on the switch.

Solution