Will a heatsink / block for an LGA 2011 CPU/Board fit an LGA 2011-v3 CPU/Board?

BrainSlugs83

Reputable
Aug 20, 2014
Hey guys,

I know the CPUs are not backwards / forwards compatible, but I'm wondering if the mounting hardware for the heatsinks/water blocks is. So, can I put a heatsink/water block for an LGA 2011 CPU/board onto an LGA 2011-v3 CPU/board?

Also, what's the best off the shelf air and/or closed-loop water cooler for LGA 2011-v3 right now? -- My budget is around $75 - $125.

(I'm planning to overclock a 5820K CPU -- Stock is 3.3 GHz, hoping to surpass 4.0 at least -- according to hwbot.org the average OC on air for this CPU is 4.4 GHz -- so unless I get a dud, it shouldn't be an issue I think -- my highest priority is keeping it cool and stable, so if have to scale it back a bit, that's fine.)

Thanks,
--Mikey

Most LGA2011 heatsinks are LGA2011-3 compatible, but you should check to confirm from the official website.

And, H110 is a good cooler for the price, pretty big, but cools extremely well. Not sure about 4.4Ghz with the chip, but you atleast won't be stopped due to no thermal headroom.

BrainSlugs83

Reputable
Aug 20, 2014

Sage advice, sir. Btw, I'm pretty skeptical about the 4.4 GHz overclock on air -- or even custom loop for that matter!!

The CPU seems to be an outlier in this regard (compared to all the other i7 CPUs I've looked at on hwbot.org) -- and in my personal experience with overclocking, getting more than 1 GHz on air ... is just ... fucking ridiculous. -- I'm hoping for 4.0 GHz, but if I can't hit it, oh well, I'll scale it back. -- The thermal stability is what I'm most interested in.

On that note, I was actually looking at the CORSAIR Hydro H110 Extreme specifically! -- do you happen to know if it supports the v3? So far, all I've seen is speculation that it does but no confirmation.