[SOLVED] Will a high refresh rate cause screen tearing too?

shaikyahiya

Honorable
Dec 22, 2015
My PC:
Processor: Intel Core i3 6098p 3.6 Ghz
RAM: 8GB DDR4
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Monitor: 19 inch, 60 Hz

I want to upgrade my monitor to 24 inch, 144 Hz, 1ms.
On my current monitor, I had noticed screen tearing in FIFA on which I was able to get 100 FPS. The tearing went away after I limited the FPS in the FIFAConfig to 60 FPS.

I wanted to know if I get a 144Hz monitor, will I still get screen tearing, since the FPS will be lesser than the Refresh Rate? I read at a few places that I need to buy a G-SYNC capable monitor but those are really out of my budget. I am not a big fan of v-sync since it causes noticeable huge input lag.

What should I do?

Solution
Absolutely sure*** except that the monitor MUST have a display port connection (only AMD cards can do variable refresh over HDMI)

The requisites to make the "GSync Compatible" list are: (abbreviated, and none of these are required to use variable refresh on Nvidia GTX10xx or newer cards via display port)
  • 2.4 : 1 refresh range (basically 144Hz max refresh).
  • Have variable refresh enabled out of the box (this is the main reason the list is so small)
  • Be a premium retail partner with Nvidia. (So they'll actually test and add your products to their list)
It's really just a smear campaign.

From an experience standpoint, yes, a 120Hz/144Hz FreeSync monitor is ideal.

There's a reddit thread in which many people have...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, you will experience tearing without some sort of syncing. V-sync with a 144hz panel when you aren't capable of generating 144FPS is just as bad.

That said, with higher refresh rates tearing can be less noticeable. But once you are looking for it, you will see it.

G-sync is not a necessity, free-sync is now supported over display port with Nvidia cards.

I would go ahead and get a 75hz freesync panel and see how it goes. Get a 144hz panel when you can afford to upgrade the rest of the system.

144Hz FreeSync monitors shouldn't cost much/any more than fixed-144Hz monitors.

As Eximo said, Nvidia "unlocked" the ability to use "FreeSync" on their GPUs in January 2019. There's not much point anymore in buying a true GSync monitor.

Now...GSync COMPATIBLE is basically a 144Hz FreeSync monitor that has FreeSync/VRR enabled out-of-the box. You don't NEED a GSync compatible display.

shaikyahiya

Honorable
Dec 22, 2015
144Hz FreeSync monitors shouldn't cost much/any more than fixed-144Hz monitors.

As Eximo said, Nvidia "unlocked" the ability to use "FreeSync" on their GPUs in January 2019. There's not much point anymore in buying a true GSync monitor.

Now...GSync COMPATIBLE is basically a 144Hz FreeSync monitor that has FreeSync/VRR enabled out-of-the box. You don't NEED a GSync compatible display.

I read at many places that Nvidia has a list of FreeSync monitors that are compatible with G-Sync and they are very few(none available in my country). Are you sure all FreeSync monitors will work?

Absolutely sure*** except that the monitor MUST have a display port connection (only AMD cards can do variable refresh over HDMI)

The requisites to make the "GSync Compatible" list are: (abbreviated, and none of these are required to use variable refresh on Nvidia GTX10xx or newer cards via display port)
  • 2.4 : 1 refresh range (basically 144Hz max refresh).
  • Have variable refresh enabled out of the box (this is the main reason the list is so small)
  • Be a premium retail partner with Nvidia. (So they'll actually test and add your products to their list)
It's really just a smear campaign.

From an experience standpoint, yes, a 120Hz/144Hz FreeSync monitor is ideal.

There's a reddit thread in which many people have documented their experience with many FreeSync monitors on Nvidia GPUs. You ought to be able to find it via google search.

Last edited:
Reactions: shaikyahiya
Solution