[SOLVED] Will a HP Elite 8300 MT with a 320W PSU run a gtx 1050 ti?

Aug 30, 2019
I have looked all over but I havent been able to find a definite answer so I decided to post here. All I could find was posts about HP Elite 8300 SFF, which has a different PSU so it didn't really apply.

First time poster as well as first time pc buyer and I need some help. Im currently lookimg at buying a HP Elite 8300 MT with a i5-3570 processor, 8gb of ram, 1TB HDD, and a 320W PSU, I'll post a link below.

Before I buy this computer, I need to be sure that it will support a gtx 1050 ti. The card itself says it draws 75W of power and recommends a 300W system, but Im not sure after using a PSU calculator.

After I plugged all the specs into the PSU, it recommend something like a 344W power supply, so it made me question if I could run it. Ive seen a bunch of people pluging fix 1050 ti's into the SFF models and have them run fine so that made me even more confused.

I also know that HP uses proprietory PSU's so what it comes with is what I have to use.

I am obviously new in all this and just need some help determining if the HP Elite 8300 MT is compatible with a gtx 1050 ti. Is there enough space within the case so I wont have to worry about something being in the way? Will I need to purchase a low form version of the graphics card? Will I have cooling issues with the card installed in a standard case?

Hopefully someone can give me some good information and possibly first hand experience using this model.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Elite-8...159455?hash=item2160cfea5f:g:HLYAAOSw~c1dTTyd

Solution
Welcome to the forums my friend!

A 1050ti can typically run fairly easily on a 300W PSU. The Ti can draw slightly more than 75W but it's not far off.

The main issue with these things is not quantity of wattage but quality. As quantity is useless without quality - as point 1 shows here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/

And typically those PCs come with really poor quality OEM proprietory PSUs that aren't overly made with discrete GPUs in mind. So ultimately it should run, but one would question how safe or reliable the PSU will actually be.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

A 1050ti can typically run fairly easily on a 300W PSU. The Ti can draw slightly more than 75W but it's not far off.

The main issue with these things is not quantity of wattage but quality. As quantity is useless without quality - as point 1 shows here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/

And typically those PCs come with really poor quality OEM proprietory PSUs that aren't overly made with discrete GPUs in mind. So ultimately it should run, but one would question how safe or reliable the PSU will actually be.

Solution
I agree with Tailor, I'd say you're... fine.

Would feel much better with an aftermarket PSU though. That existing PSU is probably original, which means it could be 7 YEARS OLD. Something like a $20 after MIR (when on sale) Corsair CX450 is a small price to pay.

Also, if you get a new PSU, you can get a RX570 4GB for ~$120 that's >40% faster than a 1050Ti, so you're getting a faster GPU AND a new PSU for the same amount of money you were planning to spend on just that 1050Ti.

Last edited: