Question Will a hp pro 3500 accept an i5 2500k

Oct 3, 2019
I just put an i5 2500k in my old pc and it says unsupported cpu. I think it will accept a i5 2500 but is the k on the end a deal breaker?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
With OEMs you can never be sure, but if you've tested it, there you go. You can maybe check for BIOS updates, but I doubt it will add support.

They do support 3rd gen chips though, so picking up an i5-3470 or something will more than make up for it. You wouldn't be able to overclock anyway.

Oct 3, 2019
With OEMs you can never be sure, but if you've tested it, there you go. You can maybe check for BIOS updates, but I doubt it will add support.

They do support 3rd gen chips though, so picking up an i5-3470 or something will more than make up for it. You wouldn't be able to overclock anyway.
I updated the bios to v8.19 but still won t support it. I can boot up Windows but it won t support the graphics for it. Thanks for the reassurance.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I just put an i5 2500k in my old pc and it says unsupported cpu. I think it will accept a i5 2500 but is the k on the end a deal breaker?

Where does it say unsupported? Blank screen? Because if 2500k wasn't supported that would result in a no post ~ failed boot.

I'm guessing you're mistaken and you were able to boot properly with the 2500k prior to updating bios? Some mainboards allow enabling igpu in bios if a gpu is present and others disable it completely. Do you have a graphics card installed?

Oct 3, 2019
Where does it say unsupported? Blank screen? Because if 2500k wasn't supported that would result in a no post ~ failed boot.

I'm guessing you're mistaken and you were able to boot properly with the 2500k prior to updating bios? Some mainboards allow enabling igpu in bios if a gpu is present and others disable it completely. Do you have a graphics card installed?
I don't have a graphics card as yet and yes I could boot up Windows. It booted up fine before I removed the i3 3240. I have replaced that cpu and it boots up as normal. I just don't get why it says unsupported but let's me boot from the bios?????
Ps: I updated the bios AFTER I kept getting this message?

Oct 3, 2019
I ended up getting an i5 3470 which installed no problem. I also upgraded my graphics card and power supply and not a single fault.
I'd just like to thank everyone who has helped. It's very much appreciated and I'm happy with the results..