[SOLVED] Will A i5-2400 3.10 ghz and a GTX 1050 receive low fps?

gagecarmongaming

Reputable
Nov 7, 2018
I've noticed I have low fps in the games that I play or random lag spikes at certain moments. I know what one problem is but im not sure if that will fix it.

Specs:

i5-2400 3.10 Ghz

GTX 1050 2gb GIGABYTE

4gb ddr3 RAM. (This is one reason)

750 watt PSU

SAMSUNG 250gb SSD

MSI H61MU-E35

-If anything else is needed, inform me and I'll do my best to provide.

Solution
You have an old CPU without any hyperthreading, so that's going to be an issue from the start. You can really expect a CPU that launched 7 years ago to keep up with a graphics card, even a mediocre one, from two years ago. So that's one strike. But it could be worse and it's not totally the fault of the CPU.

Having only 4GB of probably very slow memory is likely another contributor. Again, it's probably not the only problem, but it's definitely contributing to it. At LEAST another 4GB would be recommended and to be honest I'm not sure that sinking money into a 7 year old platform makes a lot of sense unless you can find another 4GB module exactly like the one you already have, for cheap.

The 750w PSU is pretty tempting to pick on. I...
You have an old CPU without any hyperthreading, so that's going to be an issue from the start. You can really expect a CPU that launched 7 years ago to keep up with a graphics card, even a mediocre one, from two years ago. So that's one strike. But it could be worse and it's not totally the fault of the CPU.

Having only 4GB of probably very slow memory is likely another contributor. Again, it's probably not the only problem, but it's definitely contributing to it. At LEAST another 4GB would be recommended and to be honest I'm not sure that sinking money into a 7 year old platform makes a lot of sense unless you can find another 4GB module exactly like the one you already have, for cheap.

The 750w PSU is pretty tempting to pick on. I have serious reservations about believing this is going to be a quality unit when you have a low end graphics card and a very old CPU. What is the EXACT model number of your power supply?

One thing I'd try FIRST, is doing a CLEAN install of your graphics drivers.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2767677/perform-clean-install-video-card-drivers.html

Solution

gagecarmongaming

Reputable
Nov 7, 2018

All I can say is my PSU is a Shark Technology 750 Watt Blue LED PSU.

Terrible manufacturer with terrible quality power supplies. I'd get something a bit more reliable, however, we don't know for SURE that the PSU is the problem you are currently having. It sure as heck might be though.

Try the clean GPU card driver install as outlined at the link I posted, FIRST, and then we can move on from there. A new PSU and another at least 4GB of memory might be a foregone conclusion though if you want to improve things and the driver fix doesn't help.