Question Will a i7 2600k be enough for budget gaming

Oct 29, 2019
I was thinking to use either a Rx 570 or 580 with this processor. Couldn't find any Ryzen processors around here so only left with Intel options. Which other Intel processor would be better and around the same price?

elmotaipale160

Commendable
Nov 3, 2018
I was thinking to use either a Rx 570 or 580 with this processor. Couldn't find any Ryzen processors around here so only left with Intel options. Which other Intel processor would be better and around the same price?
Yes, the processor market has evolved very slowly for the past 8 years and it would work great with either a Rx 570 or a Rx 580.

Reactions: AUAGamer

elmotaipale160

Commendable
Nov 3, 2018
I see . Can you answer another question of mine? What would you recommend with a 60hz monitor Rx 570 or 580?
I'd say wait for the Rx 5500. It should be released soonly and if it's priced right it would be a great value. Also if you want to save a bit of money and still get better performance look at the used graphics card market. A used 1070 is about as cheap as a new Rx 580, (where I live) and performs alot better. For an used AMD card I would go with a vega 56 or 64 which perform better than a 1070. An used graphics card is mostly a safe bet and most sites will return your money if you got scammed.

Reactions: vistagamer6969
If you have the money and a power supply that can handle it, buy a used GTX 1070 or new GTX 1660ti/RTX 2060/2060 Super or Vega 56/RX5700. In GTA5 you can get up to 100+fps@1080p and GTA Online you can get 60-70fps@1080p. In Witcher 3 with nearly max settinngs you can get up to 80fps@1080p. Far Cry 5 maxed out will be around 70-80fps@1080p and New Dawn maxed out will be around 60-70fps @1080p.

Don't limit yourself to just a an RX 580, even a GTX 1080ti can be used to increase fps over a GTX 1070 with an i7-2600k. Not all games require the newest and fastest CPU to get 144-200fps@1080p

Is this a new build?
2600K is a decent processor, depending on the price.
It has 8 threads and a passmark rating of 8434.
The single thread rating is 1942. Single thread rating is the more important metric for gamers.
If you have other options, look up the passmark ratings. Insist on at least 4 threads.

Radeon RX570/580 are decent gaming cards. If you are buying used beware that many were previously used for mining. radeon cards usually need 75w more than a comparable performing nvidia card.
A GTX1660 will take less power and be in the same price/performance category.
To evaluate other graphics options, look at tom's gpu hierarchy chart:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

Here is a handy chart to the psu recommendations for various graphics cards:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

On the psu, DO NOT BUY a cheap psu.

Reactions: elmotaipale160
To asnwer your question, yes, for now it is going to be enough for budget gaming but........

The main problem with that CPU (I believe you are not upgrading, so you have to also buy the motherboard and RAM) is that you are going to buy some really old tech that you are not going to be able to upgrade at all in the future. Even if Intel have (for now atleast) a really good value on second hand, this is not a a great idea.

When you said Ryzen CPU can't be found, you mean no Ryzen CPU at all? As other mention already, even if you can't find a Ryzen 3xxx CPU, the Ryzen 5 1600 and 2600 will be better choices now and future wise, than going with that really old Intel CPU and platform.

Last edited:
Alot of people are suggesting a Ryzen system, but if the OP already has the 2600k, it doesn't make sense to buy a completely new system when they just need a video card upgrade. The i7-2600k oc'ed to 4-4.5Ghz is only around 8-15% (depending on the OC) slower than a Ryzen 5 2600 in the games I mentioned in my previous post. You would need to get a Ryzen 3000 to see a significant increase in performance and even then it might only be good for 15fps over an i7-2600k overclocked. So this is down to either paying for a video card that can give 60-100fps at 1080p on high+ settings or a Ryzen build that doesn't solve the issue of needing a video card upgrade in the first place.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Alot of people are suggesting a Ryzen system, but if the OP already has the 2600k, it doesn't make sense to buy a completely new system when they just need a video card upgrade. The i7-2600k oc'ed to 4-4.5Ghz is only around 8-15% (depending on the OC) slower than a Ryzen 5 2600 in the games I mentioned in my previous post. You would need to get a Ryzen 3000 to see a significant increase in performance and even then it might only be good for 15fps over an i7-2600k overclocked. So this is down to either paying for a video card that can give 60-100fps at 1080p on high+ settings or a Ryzen build that doesn't solve the issue of needing a video card upgrade in the first place.
Generally agreed - until we hear back from OP as to whether the 2600k is already owned, or is a used purchase they're considering, we really can't give a definitive answer.

TRENDING THREADS