Question WIll a i7 3770k stock bottleneck a RTX 2070?

Rajivrocks

Honorable
May 1, 2016
So my R9 280x died recently so I'm looking for a nice new GPU that will last me another six years, that's why I'm thinking about the RTX 2070, I'm running on a 1080p panel ATM but I'm mainly thinking about the future. so I was looking on this website where it shows me that if I run a RTX 2070 with an i7 3770k I will lose around 20% of the frames, is this correct? my Temps always have been a problem so I never overclocked. I do have a single rad AIO from corsair but the temps just go to high for my liking.
so my question atm is, is this website correct and the i7 3770k actually does bottleneck the RTX 2070 hard?

I think I can overclock to 4ghz but my mobo software is really bad so custom fan curves are pretty bad and when I hit 75 degrees the fans just go 100% and there is no way to adjust it.

any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
There's too many variables to say a definitive percentage. Avoid sites like that, as the information they give you isn't worth the time it took you to look it up.

It'll depend on the titles in question, in-game settings etc too. At 1080p, I would expect the 3770K to hold back a 2070 some. Exactly how much, will depend on the title(s) you play.

Overclocking the 3770K will help alleviate it somewhat. I assume something is going wrong with your overclock though. Stock, that CPU will boost to 3.9GHz, so 4.0GHz is barely an OC at all. What kind of voltage are you using to achieve 4.0GHz?

For CPU-limited games and online gameplay, yes. And it may be much more than 20% loss. Perhaps as high as 50%.
https://techreport.com/review/32642/intel-core-i7-8700k-cpu-reviewed/8 (tested on a GTX1080Ti which is approximately equivalent to the GTX2070)

An RTX2070 is pretty powerful, so you're essentially removing the GPU from the equation and approaching the results you'd see on game benchmarks in any CPU review.

Last edited:

Rajivrocks

Honorable
May 1, 2016
Only thing I'm doing is changing the multiplier, I have it at 4.22ghz now, but it will go up to 78 degrees, and the sucky thing about my mobo is when the temp goes over 75 it will ramp up the cpu fans to 100% so its very load, although this is under synthetic load, When I'm for example in NieR automata it doesn't do that, the CPU stays at around 60 C but tbh I'd like to upgrade my entire setup but I don't game enough to justify the 1000 euro + cost of upgrading, mobo + CPU + RAM + case(because mine is ass) + GPU + Cooling. I'm running cooling on a Corsair H70 and I feel like it is really a bad cooling system looking at my idle and in-game temps. also talking about boost clock, I never see my CPU boost to 3.9 Ghz I actually never saw it boost to that speed it always stayed at 3.7 and I checked my mobo settings and CPU boost was on. its very strange :( also I don't play FPS's so most triple A games are out. I play games like DMC5, NieR Automata, Darksiders and the likes and 1 MMO. so more Singleplayer games.

Rajivrocks

Honorable
May 1, 2016
Yeah its on auto, Oh damn really? :O Could you point me to a proper guide how to overclock? but I assume the higher you go the higher your voltage needs to go?
EDIT: after watching a year old vid of Linus on the basics I managed to get up to 4.429Ghz with a ratio of 43 and a blck of 103 with a voltage of 1.330 I can sqeeze a bit more out of it if I wanted to (might be able to hit 4.5) but its not worth the extra voltage(and heat) so this is the best I'm going to get. when running cinebench it gets pretty toasty at around 85 degrees on the CPU and the package and IA core will get to 95+- but I assume in real games it will not get nearly that hot because this was a synthetic benchmark. I just hope the RTX 2070 won't get hold back to much.

If I would want to check if it was getting bottlenecked I would check CPU and GPU utilization right? so I would see if the CPU would be at 100% the GPU should be close to 100% as well and if it was like 70-80% that would mean I'd have a CPU bottleneck. Please do correct me if I'm wrong!

Now I can finally sleep ;)

Last edited:

Rajivrocks

Honorable
May 1, 2016
My cooler is pretty bad, just a single rad, so I can't go crazy, I'm just doing 4.2 atm. I don't think I'm getting bottlenecked so far, received the card today, overclocked it a bit and ran the FFXV benchmark everything maxed out and my CPU doesn't get maxed out, its at like 60-75% I don't play Multiplayer FPS's so I don't think I need to be worried. at least I hope. In my next build I'll definitely go for at least a dual rad cooler.

EDIT oh yeah also, at 4.5 my PC crashes, even when I give it 1.37V and the heat output is to much for my cooler, otherwise it'll sound like a plane taking off all the time, well not that bad but I don't want it to be overly loud.

Last edited:

WildCard999

Titan
Intel Temperature Guide by CompuTronix, everything you need to know about your CPU, overclocking & the tools required.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/intel-temperature-guide.1488337/

Even post overclock if you find your 2070 not really being pushed then enable Nvidia DSR, this runs the game at a higher resolution then scales it back to your native resolution. Doing so will have a higher impact on the GPU and better yet, can make the game look noticeably better then some AA settings.
https://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/dsr/technology

Rajivrocks

Honorable
May 1, 2016
Thanks for the advice! I already figured out how to overclock, but I'm limited due to my lackluster singlerad cooling solution sadly :(
and no space in my current case to upgrade to a dual rad. so I'll upgrade when I upgrade my CPU mobo and all that stuff.

EDIT: also @tennis2 you said that the GTX 1080Ti is equivalent to the RTX 2070 but isn't that not true? I thought the RTX 2070 is close to the 1080, I saw that in videos and I see it when I run unigine heaven as well

Last edited:

Rajivrocks

Honorable
May 1, 2016
Yeah, so I ran the Far Cry 5 benchmark, everything on ultra at 1440p and min FPS was 60 and Max was 102 and on 1080p the min was at 70 but max was almost the same so yeah I'm bottlenecked indeed. Gonna ran DMC 5 tomorrow and compare it to some youtube vids.