Question Will a larger case make my system quieter ?

Coryn94

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2015
Hi guys

Some questions I am looking answers for as I'm trying to find a new case. My old case is now 9 years old and is falling apart.
What do I use my pc for: games like football manager, age of empires, ...
No need for watercooling or such but my main priority is getting a quieter system as I watch a lot of movies on my pc.
  1. Will a new case make my system quieter ?
  2. I am 99% sure I have what they call a mid tower case right now, is it possible to switch to a full tower case and what are the advantages and disadvantages of that ?
Extra question: What are the best cases to look at right now under the 150 and 100 price mark ?

Thanks in advance for your help !

You essentially don't need a new/bigger case to have it be quieter, all the noise is from the fans. You'll need new fans, the quietest fans on the market are made from "Be quiet" and "NZXT", and even corsair. Just make sure when getting new fans that they are the same size as the ones you have now. The common sizes are 120mm fans.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/G7...ase-h500-atx-mid-tower-case-mcm-h500-ignn-s00

However here's a really big beefy boi with really large fans.

Coryn94

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2015
You essentially don't need a new/bigger case to have it be quieter, all the noise is from the fans. You'll need new fans, the quietest fans on the market are made from "Be quiet" and "NZXT", and even corsair. Just make sure when getting new fans that they are the same size as the ones you have now. The common sizes are 120mm fans.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/G7...ase-h500-atx-mid-tower-case-mcm-h500-ignn-s00

However here's a really big beefy boi with really large fans.

Thanks for the info. My CPU and GPU fans are from coolermaster so I don't think I will get something better out of that but according to your info I guess it's my 2 stock fans that came with the case 9 years ago that are making the noise ? I didn't know you could buy custom fans for that as well !

Thanks for the info. My CPU and GPU fans are from coolermaster so I don't think I will get something better out of that but according to your info I guess it's my 2 stock fans that came with the case 9 years ago that are making the noise ? I didn't know you could buy custom fans for that as well !

Pretty much everything about a PC is customizable. Hell if you're adventurous and knowledgeable enough you could even customize the case itself. But anyway, try disconnected your case fans from your motherboard and turn on your computer for a few minutes, see if it sounds a lot quieter. The only things that make noise in a computer:
  • fans (Cpu fan, gpu fan, case fans, etc)
  • HDD (only mechanical drives, ssd's are silent)
  • GPU coil whine (this is an electric buzz/hum that some people get when stressing their high-end graphics card. It's the sound of a bunch of electricity trying to flow through the mosfets)
AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST
- The person on the computer ("F*G LAG!")

TRENDING THREADS