[SOLVED] Will a lenovo e73 180 watt psu support a gt 1030?

ScytheIsPoor

Reputable
Dec 23, 2020
I just want to know if it will run on a 180 watt psu. I'm not risking to break my computer just to change it. Please let me know and thanks!

Solution
I don't know why but for some reason my brain was thinking you were looking at adding something like a 1650 or whatever not a 1030 lolol.
Yeah, you can just pop in a 1030 no problem.
Play some minecraft and consume entertainment.

I feel so dumb lolol.
A GT1030's rated TDP is 30w. even if we up it for whatever reason it won't be more than about 50w I believe. definitely going to use less than the 75w that the PCIe can provide.
Your CPU is rated for a 54w TDP.
Combined (assuming 50w for the card) that's only 104w.
The rest of your components won't use more than 20w combined.

If we go by the rated TDP of the 1030 chip and the max 75w of the slot, you are looking at roughly 105w on the minimal side, and up to a max of about 150w on the...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
chances are, if this is a cheap PSU inside a tiny little compact pre built PC, the answer is no.
The wattage it provides is enough for what comes installed in the system unfortunately.
And the PSU is most likely low enough quality that it won't handle adding a GPU even if it had enough watts.

But yes, provide the system specs please

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I just looked up the e73, and it's one of those SFF thin tower desktops and I know the exact type of PSU that comes inside those things, I am gonna just say no, it will not properly support you adding a GPU, even one that only needs 75w from the PCIe.

Don't take your chances.
You can find a higher wattage power supply to swap in though if you want.
They aren't the easiest to find and aren't the cheapest either.
Especially if Lenovo went with a more proprietary power supply so that it has non standard dimensions to it making it so that a 3rd party PSU won't fit.

ScytheIsPoor

Reputable
Dec 23, 2020
I just looked up the e73, and it's one of those SFF thin tower desktops and I know the exact type of PSU that comes inside those things, I am gonna just say no, it will not properly support you adding a GPU, even one that only needs 75w from the PCIe.

Don't take your chances.
You can find a higher wattage power supply to swap in though if you want.
They aren't the easiest to find and aren't the cheapest either.
Especially if Lenovo went with a more proprietary power supply so that it has non standard dimensions to it making it so that a 3rd party PSU won't fit.
Do you have any other suggestions of a gpu which would work in my pc? I was thinking a gt 730 as a second choice but I am not sure now.

ScytheIsPoor

Reputable
Dec 23, 2020
Im not on my pc so I wouldn't be able to say the correct specs. As soon as I get a chance I can but currently I can't. It is a e73 sff as you have specified so it shouldnt be hard to find them online. But I will be playing Minecraft or something like that.

ScytheIsPoor

Reputable
Dec 23, 2020
Im not on my pc so I wouldn't be able to say the correct specs. As soon as I get a chance I can but currently I can't. It is a e73 sff as you have specified so it shouldnt be hard to find them online. But I will be playing Minecraft or something like that.
ok, so you want to game.
What kind of games?
I need good examples of the heaviest graphic titles you would play.

Also, you still haven't provided your system specs.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I can look up the e73, but I won't know what CPU, RAM, HDD, etc. config you have as there are like 6 different CPU's that could've been installed in your system, with like 4 different RAM options and a couple of HDD options.

No rush though, take your time. we'll be here.

ScytheIsPoor

Reputable
Dec 23, 2020
I can look up the e73, but I won't know what CPU, RAM, HDD, etc. config you have as there are like 6 different CPU's that could've been installed in your system, with like 4 different RAM options and a couple of HDD options.

No rush though, take your time. we'll be here.
I searched my specs up and it's a intel core i3-4130, Intel hd graphics 4000 I'm pretty sure, 500 GB Western Digital Black HDD, 4 GB DDR3 ram (going to add a extra 4 GB which will make it 8 soon). That's all I currently know. If you have any more questions about my specs I'll let you know when I can.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I don't know why but for some reason my brain was thinking you were looking at adding something like a 1650 or whatever not a 1030 lolol.

I feel so dumb lolol.
A GT1030's rated TDP is 30w. even if we up it for whatever reason it won't be more than about 50w I believe. definitely going to use less than the 75w that the PCIe can provide.

If we go by the rated TDP of the 1030 chip and the max 75w of the slot, you are looking at roughly 105w on the minimal side, and up to a max of about 150w on the heavy side.

But I doubt you'll ever push it to 150w usage.
The PSU you have is rated for 180w, but even if we get conservative and say it delivers less than that it won't be less than 150w stable.
So honestly now that I have corrected my brain knowing you are talking about a GT 1030, the answer is that you'll be fine.

If you want to put a slightly higher performing card in there like a 1650 or whatever then you'll be pushing it to the line.

Solution

ScytheIsPoor

Reputable
Dec 23, 2020

I feel so dumb lolol.

If we go by the rated TDP of the 1030 chip and the max 75w of the slot, you are looking at roughly 105w on the minimal side, and up to a max of about 150w on the heavy side.

But I doubt you'll ever push it to 150w usage.
The PSU you have is rated for 180w, but even if we get conservative and say it delivers less than that it won't be less than 150w stable.
So honestly now that I have corrected my brain knowing you are talking about a GT 1030, the answer is that you'll be fine.

If you want to put a slightly higher performing card in there like a 1650 or whatever then you'll be pushing it to the line.
That's good to know thanks for helping me choose my choice!!