[SOLVED] Will a modern 16xx Nvidia or AMD 5000 series card POST in an older computer?

Jan 7, 2020
Hello everyone

I plan to purchase a new computer later this year when I gather the funds, although currently I have enough to buy a new GPU and replace my current card which was supposed to be a temporary card a 730 GT. However, someone mentioned that due to the age of my system modern NVidia and/or AMD GPUs may not POST at all : S. My current computer is:

Intel i3 2100 CPU
Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2P-B3 (rev. 1.0) motherboard
8GBs of DDR3
NVidia 730 GT

Could you guys please tell me if I buy a 1660Ti, a 1660 Super or say the upcoming 5600XT it would boot at all?

Thank you for your time

Solution
Maybe get it through Amazon just in case of issues so that you can do a return if needed.

Also, bump the ram to 16gb. You might consider as well if your board will handle it, I put an i5 2400 into an older system recently, and got it on eBay for about 20 bucks. I'm thinking I've seen the i7s of that era for around 50-60. So you might think on, depending when you're getting your new system, picking up something like that if your motherboard supports it, to tide you over.
You computer is not thaaaaaat old.
The one issue might be your PSU not supplying enough power for the new card to work properly but it should at least post no matter what as long as you can power it at all,meaning that if the card needs an extra plug and your PSU doesn't have it that might stop it from posting but otherwise you should be ok.

Reactions: makaveli-313
Jan 7, 2020
You computer is not thaaaaaat old.
The one issue might be your PSU not supplying enough power for the new card to work properly but it should at least post no matter what as long as you can power it at all,meaning that if the card needs an extra plug and your PSU doesn't have it that might stop it from posting but otherwise you should be ok.
I have a 650 W Corsair PSU with available dual 8 pin connectors iirc.

and If you're certain, I was planning on either the 1660 Super or the AMD equivalent.

Maybe get it through Amazon just in case of issues so that you can do a return if needed.

Also, bump the ram to 16gb. You might consider as well if your board will handle it, I put an i5 2400 into an older system recently, and got it on eBay for about 20 bucks. I'm thinking I've seen the i7s of that era for around 50-60. So you might think on, depending when you're getting your new system, picking up something like that if your motherboard supports it, to tide you over.

Solution
Jan 7, 2020
sorry I forgot to ask : )
How badly would my i3 2100(stock) bottleneck a card like a 1660 Super or Ti variant?
I plan on getting a Ryzen 4700(or whatever they end up calling it) later this year but just wondering about how performance would be as is currently?

Thank you again.