[SOLVED] Will a MSI GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER GAMING X connect with my motherboard?

Apr 1, 2020
Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
Model 1497 (SOCKET 0)
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model Sandy Bridge
Chipset Revision 09
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model Q65
Southbridge Revision B2

BIOS
Brand Hewlett-Packard
Version J01 v02.29
Date 04/04/2016
PCI Data
Slot PCI-E
Slot Type PCI-E
Slot Usage Available
Data lanes x16
Slot Designation X16PCIEXP
Characteristics 3.3V, PME
Slot Number 0

Solution
Is this the right board?

If so, there's a couple things I'm noticing with it. The first is that the PCIe slots are rated for low-profile cards. These have shorter brackets than the current standard, so the Super Gaming X will not fit. However I did find a GTX 1650 that does have a low profile, here's a link for that. It doesn't have to be that specific model, just a reference. Your motherboard does have the PCIe x16 slot which is needed, so you're good there.

The other issue I'm seeing is that the motherboard only supports 2nd generation Intel chips. I can almost guarantee that the performance of a 1650 will be moderately bottlenecked from a 2nd gen Intel. That's not to say they aren't compatible...
Is this the right board?

If so, there's a couple things I'm noticing with it. The first is that the PCIe slots are rated for low-profile cards. These have shorter brackets than the current standard, so the Super Gaming X will not fit. However I did find a GTX 1650 that does have a low profile, here's a link for that. It doesn't have to be that specific model, just a reference. Your motherboard does have the PCIe x16 slot which is needed, so you're good there.

The other issue I'm seeing is that the motherboard only supports 2nd generation Intel chips. I can almost guarantee that the performance of a 1650 will be moderately bottlenecked from a 2nd gen Intel. That's not to say they aren't compatible, you just wont get as good of a performance from that GPU as you could be getting with a better CPU. Here is a performance chart made from a combo of the GTX 1650 and an Intel i5-2400.

Solution
I think it comes down to the case as well, it's a low profile-based motherboard for a slim case. The GPU brackets themselves connect to the case. So you would need to upgrade the case to a standard profile one, the motherboard to standard profile, the CPU to get the full power out of a 1650S, and most likely the PSU.

Quick question though, now that I'm looking at that 1497 more closely. Is this for a laptop? And if so, what model?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The 1650 will improve performance if it works in your system.

Please note that, sometimes, older OEM motherboards (HP, Dell, etc) can be fussy about using newer video cards. I would suggest checking HP-specific forums to see if anyone has successfully used a 1650 with that system and board.

Finally - your power supply could be at issue. Quite a number of OEM power supplies are underpowered with regard to being able to handle a decent add-in video card. Also, it may not have the 6 or 8 pin PCIe connector that such a card would require. This is something you'll have to check for.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Is that the one with the green label, like this:
cx600-1.jpg.9083e5bd34d33050f5db02af36d7ae02.jpg

If so, I would STRONGLY recommend returning it. The green label CX power supplies. Get one of the modern (2017) versions of the CX. They typically have the wattage numbers ending in 50. ie: 550W, 650W, etc.

Better would be a TX, TXm, RM, or RMx from Corsair. Seasonic's FOCUS models are also very good.

What country are you purchasing in?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
From the write-up that is the first link in my sig (and a very good guide for PSUs)
Under the Corsair section:
The orange and black label VS models and the green and black label CX models should be avoided. Completely. Currently we just cannot justify using one of these units. The track record is terrible and if you have one, especially if it is more than a year old, it is probably either already failing or if you are having problems, is likely the reason why. If you don't already have one, avoid them.

It would be helpful to read the first post (really kind of an article) in that link, though. It's very educational, and it's what I learned from.