Will a New GPU improve this build for gaming?

kiddenigma

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017
Gigabyte z97x gaming 3 motherboard

i7 4790k set overclocked to 4.4 automatically from the motherboard.

32gb DDR3 Ram (random ram cards thrown in, haven’t had any issues assumed it is okay)

3tb HDD wd

Samsung 120gb SSD for OS

GPU: MSi RX 470 8Gb Gaming X

Would upgrading my GPU help with my current build in improving smoothness and overall quality to help improve mechanics and gaming overall experience without sudden frame drops that hinder my shots and movement ??? I’m aiming to play on a competive level with games such as PUBG and Destiny 2 that released date today on PC

Solution
sure it will.
your CPU can provide high and stable FPS in any competitive game for another couple of years at least.
throw in a good GPU and you are good to go :)

RicarBit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I still play with my i5 3450 in a Z77 MoBo but with a recent upgrade to a GTX 1060 6Gb and the difference in fps is astonishing. I'm actually running simulators almost as fast as any other's top end i7s players.

My concern is that I can't use a M.2 SSD as a boot drive and that may be the only reason for upgrade :(

But I'm not sure about that either so I came back yo this forum to figure it out :)

pmoise

Prominent
Oct 31, 2017
I had a 1080 Ti on a 2600k CPU, was running perfectly smooth. Just make sure your PSU has enough PCI-E power connector to run higher powered card.