Will a new router help extend my range?

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I have an old wrt54G (I think) router and I am looking to get more range for my house. Router is in the basement and it gets most of the main floor above it, except my bedroom and bathroom for the most part, but doesn't go upstairs one more floor to the bonus room turned bedroom. Will getting a new router improve the range? I don't care if it's faster or has better prioritizing etc., I'm really looking to get more range to get to a few more rooms of my house.

Thanks!

bobsilver

Reputable
Jul 5, 2014
There is a new crop of routers that are maximizing radio design and antenna usage. One in particular is the Netgear Nighthawk R7000. It has the best range and performance of any consumer router today. It is chock full of features and has most importantly the best performance. While it is an AC router capable of 1ghz speeds with AC clients its performance is also enjoyed by todays non AC N type devices. I have one and it covers a 3000 sq ft single story home completely as well as outside too. Here is a review I wrote on the AVS Forum site. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/1493322-netgear-r7000-nighthawk-ac1900-router-review-comments-thread.html

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002

No, wireless standards are implemented across all vendors. Any brand should work with any other brand.

Keep in mind that a wireless extender will drop your bandwidth at least in half. If you can run a cable to a wireless AP it would probably be less expensive AND work much better.

TRENDING THREADS