Will a new router help with lag?

am102392

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
Right now we are using a linksys wrt54g. Normally when I play games my latency is perfectly fine however, I run into issues when my sister watches YouTube on the second floor(I'm in the attic). She can watch them anywhere else in our house and its fine. My question is would upgrading our wireless router resolve this or is it just a hopeless situation?

Running cables to our attic is not an option right now. Should also add our modem is a little out dated and we have a 25 Mbps connection

It depends. Wireless N, and more upcoming wireless AC both have significantly higher broadcast power and throughput than Wireless G. In order to take advantage of the greater range provided by Wireless N your own device will have to support it, otherwise it will fall back to Wireless A/B/G and you may not see an improvement.

am102392

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013

I currently have the asus pce-ac66 adapter so I presume it would be compatable

I would instead suggest that you install Netlimiter v3 on all your PC's, as this will aid the QoS on the router already.
Permitting you to run at 97% downstream constantly while still getting under 128ms latency.

http://www.netlimiter.com/

I use it myself for exactly the same scenario with a much lower end rotuer than the one you have (that still supports QoS, and limiting upstream to about 95% of actual so it doesn't buffer on the router).

The best part is, because there is a demo you can trial this before paying a dime!

This might mean limiting downstream on each PC to a fraction of 25Mbps, but you can generally limit upstream on all PCs to about 95% to 97% of actual, as I doubt all PCs will be uploading heavily simultaneously).