Will a new router improve my internet speed on Verizon DSL?

Steelersfan305

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
I currently pay for Verizon High Speed Internet Enhanced. Depending on the tier available where we live, our download speeds can be anywhere from 2 mb/s to 15 mb/s. However, our download speed tops out at 700 kb/s. Verizon has informed me that i own an old model modem, and that upgrading it could help. They want $65 for their new combo modem/router.

If I were to just buy a new router, and bridge their modem to it, would it have the same affect, or would the modem still be a bottleneck?

If it is worth it, do you have suggestions for a decent router?

Solution
Do you know the model number for your modem? ADSL and ADSL2 are pretty established technologies. Your modem would have to be a decade old to not support ADSL2, and even regular ADSL supports speeds well over 700 kbps. Unless your modem is 10-20 years old, I really doubt the problem is because your modem is old (unless it is malfunctioning). If your modem really is old, you can try replacing it. But I'd get the replacement from someplace you can return it for a refund if it doesn't fix your problem.

Do you have phone service on this line as well? Make sure you install the DSL filters on all phone jacks with phones plugged in. DSL and phone service are carried on the same wire. The phone service is carried at the lower...
''Will a new router improve my internet speed on Verizon ''

if anything like the Verizon service I got its more like you get what ever they give you per hour pre day , fast , slow , none ????? never know what you have to work with everytime you turn it on to use it with them ??

then maybe they treat you better in your area ?? the more there system load and your usage the bandwidth throttling can start

I can go from ''heck ya , nice'' to ''dang my old 56k dial up was faster then this '' with them

kanewolf

Titan
It is possible it is your modem, it is possible it is your Verizon owned wire, it is unlikely that just a new router will change anything. I would recommend you get a new modem, not a modem/router combo and then you can use any router you desire. Verizon will have a webpage with the list of approved modems for your service.

Do you know the model number for your modem? ADSL and ADSL2 are pretty established technologies. Your modem would have to be a decade old to not support ADSL2, and even regular ADSL supports speeds well over 700 kbps. Unless your modem is 10-20 years old, I really doubt the problem is because your modem is old (unless it is malfunctioning). If your modem really is old, you can try replacing it. But I'd get the replacement from someplace you can return it for a refund if it doesn't fix your problem.

Do you have phone service on this line as well? Make sure you install the DSL filters on all phone jacks with phones plugged in. DSL and phone service are carried on the same wire. The phone service is carried at the lower frequencies, while DSL is carried at the higher frequencies. A phone can add high frequency noise to the line which can interfere with DSL. The filters remove that noise.

If the problem is the phone line, you're going to be in for a long fight. Verizon will do everything it can to avoid admitting the problem may be their line, so they won't have to pay to fix it. They will blame your modem, they will blame your router, they will blame your computer, they will blame the wiring in your house. Not because a technical analysis says those components are at fault, but because those are components the customer has to pay to fix, not them.

I fought with them for 2 years for a line problem that appeared every time it rained. Every time I'd open a ticket, they'd test the line a couple days later (when it wasn't raining), say their line was fine, and close the ticket. I finally nailed them when getting a T1 line installed. It happened to be raining during the install day, and the company installing it told me they were talking to Verizon about connectivity problems. I asked them if they had a Verizon tech on the phone at that moment. They did, so I immediately told them to request a line quality test. That was when Verizon finally admitted the line was faulty and sent out a repairman. (Turned out a bird had built a nest on one of their poles, and picked apart the insulation on some of the phone lines. Every time it rained, the water would contact the copper and cause shorts/static.)

If you're convinced the problem is a faulty Verizon line (e.g. you also experience static on phone calls), it may be easier just to get a new line than to try to get them to fix the original one. Most homes have two phone lines coming in (4 wires = 2 twisted pairs = 2 phone lines). I'm assuming you already have phone + DSL service on one line. Request another DSL line (a dry loop - DSL without phone service). This will set up DSL service on your second line. Hopefully it does not have the line quality issues of your first line. If the second line works, you can just cancel the DSL service on the first line. (After testing, you'll have to cancel service on one of the lines. So be mindful of the length of the contract and any cancellation fees. You may be better off keeping the second DSL line and canceling the original DSL service.)

Solution
ya its called more users then network then if they fell you use more then they feel you should add throttling to that

whats funny is the first 90 days or so its excellent then things start to decline somewhat , kinda like how At&t works with there service
'''
some areas they do not invest in service as they do In say ''big town'' but my bill is the same rates

like here we get the hand me down stuff that been ripped out and upgraded from other areas

sad thing is I live in the US.of A worlds richest most powerful nation and where I live it Att 56k dial up or satellite or cell phone type wifi

think hard wire internet around here is still as it was back in the 90's or high$$ satellite /wifi buddy got FIOS and it comes and goes with the wind