[SOLVED] will a new Router increase speed?

Altom_

Reputable
Dec 18, 2020
Right i'll be honest my internet is [language] getting 37download and 17 upload speeds
and im using an ethernet cable
so im asking will a new router help or will it only help with WIFI?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
They typically won’t, if your using Ethernet then no is the short answer, but what a new router will do is extend the range and speed that can flow through the router wirelessly. I had a older net gear router then worked great but didn’t have great range and would drop speed over distance. I got a new Asus WiFi 6 router and it has been awesome I can go anywhere in my house and maintain 30 ping or less and 120 mb/s, but the first thing is to contact your WiFi provider if you don’t get your advertised speeds.
Not likely.

Even very inexpensive routers can actually pass close to 1gbit of traffic from wan to lan on ethernet.

The wifi depends on many things but unless you router is extremely old it already can run faster than 37mbps.

What speed do you pay your ISP for. You can never go faster than that

thomas4204

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018
They typically won’t, if your using Ethernet then no is the short answer, but what a new router will do is extend the range and speed that can flow through the router wirelessly. I had a older net gear router then worked great but didn’t have great range and would drop speed over distance. I got a new Asus WiFi 6 router and it has been awesome I can go anywhere in my house and maintain 30 ping or less and 120 mb/s, but the first thing is to contact your WiFi provider if you don’t get your advertised speeds.

Solution