[SOLVED] Will a nvidia geforce gt 1030 2gb gddr5 work in a Dell OptiPlex 9020 w/ Core i7-4790?

Apr 15, 2019
Hi,
I have bought a Dell OptiPlex 9020 Core i7 4790 computer from CeX (https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail...-i7-4790-8gb-ram-500gb-hd-dvd-rw-windows-10-b) and I was thinking of putting an Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail...puting&title=nvidia-geforce-gt-1030-2gb-gddr5) in it from CeX. Would that work?
We would have to think about:
  1. Size (e.g. comparing case size and graphics card size)
  2. Power (the power supply in the pc is 255W power)
Help would be greatly appreciated (as I am a huge noob with this) and I thank you in advance for any input! :)

Thanks,
Eddie

Solution
It certainly should, yes.

1. That's a mid-tower sized case from Dell, so should certainly accommodate decent sized GPUs.
  2. While the PSU probably isn't great, a 1030 is a low TDP card (30W IIRC), and doesn't require additional PCIe connectors - so should be fine.

If you wanted some more GPU horsepower, you could replace the PSU too, to allow for a stronger GPU..... but you will need a 24pin to Dell 8pin adapter, as the motherboard uses a proprietary ATX connector (not a standard 24pin).

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

1. That's a mid-tower sized case from Dell, so should certainly accommodate decent sized GPUs.
  2. While the PSU probably isn't great, a 1030 is a low TDP card (30W IIRC), and doesn't require additional PCIe connectors - so should be fine.

If you wanted some more GPU horsepower, you could replace the PSU too, to allow for a stronger GPU..... but you will need a 24pin to Dell 8pin adapter, as the motherboard uses a proprietary ATX connector (not a standard 24pin).

Reactions: EddiesTech
Solution
Apr 15, 2019

Thanks! That's great! Amazing Help! :)