Question Will a nvme m.2 pcie 3/4 SSD work on a mobo with an m.2 socket that shares lanes with a pcie 2 slot?

Aug 3, 2022
Its probably SATA given the mobo is a lga 1150 socket. I may upgrade my gear soon but my boot hdd I'm afraid is nearing its end so I have to replace it quickly. Buying a nvme m.2 ssd makes sense if I upgraded later than sooner...thus the question

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

For context, please mention the make and model of your motherboard and the processor you're working with as well as any other PCIe devices on/in your build. Why not pick up a 2.5" SSD and migrate that onto the new platform? You can then invest in what's the latest M.2 drive for future platform. If upgrading later, how late?

Aug 3, 2022
I run an i5-4570 3.20 ghz on an Asus Z97M plus board with 16g RAM
gpu is a Gigabyte GTX 680 using the only PCIE 3.0 slot

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

For context, please mention the make and model of your motherboard and the processor you're working with as well as any other PCIe devices on/in your build. Why not pick up a 2.5" SSD and migrate that onto the new platform? You can then invest in what's the latest M.2 drive for future platform. If upgrading later, how late?

I have a couple of Kingston 250gb ssd sadly they're at about 80% health and declining so its not a lasting solution either so I am thinking of buying a new ssd using the m.2 socket instead. As far as upgrading, probably in the next 6 months starting with cpu/board/ram bundle then build from there. But back to the question, will it work sans the speed offered by nvme based ssds

USAFRet

Titan
Short and sweet ... I like that ... can't say the same to the online seller who hasn't responded yet...fearing that it might void the warranty Thanks Bob and Lutfij
It may "work", but....

It is probably only a PCIe 2.0 M.2 port. So your PCIe 3/4 devices won't run at their native full speed

It may not be able to boot from that. With the Z97 boards, M.2 support was very spotty. Or, it may need a BIOS update to be able to boot from it.

Bottom line - Do NOT put a fast expensive SSD in that. Another SATA III drive to replace your dying Kingstons, maybe.

Reactions: Lutfij