Will a overclocked i7 5820k beat i7 6700k?

tahnik

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
I was wondering if a overclocked i7 5820k will beat the skylake processor?

I know that we need to wait until the benchmarks come out. But considering 5820k is a hex core cpu and games are going to use all the cores pretty soon as the consoles are using 8 core processors do you think it will beat skylake?

Thanks

senseijtitus

Honorable
The main difference between the two is going to be the integrated graphics. In the 6700K, it is supposed to be a better version than earlier ones. Clock speed of Skylake is also not going to be any higher than the 5th gen. So if you OC a 5820K, it will give it a good boost and will definitely outperform 7 6700k.

Mugglensu1984

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
5820K for sure, there's no guarantee you can get to 5.0ghz with the other processor and with a decent overclock on the 5820K in the just 4.4ghz area. Furthermore, no amount of OC-ing would make up the difference of the 2 additional cores. i7 5820K is a much better idea. With the extra two cores, the 5820k will perform better in CPU intensive games like Civ5/Total War games.

senseijtitus

Honorable
5820K has got potential CPU performance than 6700K. The only advantage that the Skylake variant has is in terms of integrated graphics which is about 20% better than the other i series chips. But for gaming, I would not go with Intels integrated graphics. AMDs APUs although totally under powered in CPU performance are pretty good in there Graphic performance compared to intels. Even the upcoming APU are going to be better. It is said they will incorporate the R9 series graphics on die for there new APU. We all know how good the R9 series GPUs are and once they get integrated on CPU die, we can see significant improvement in there graphic perormance. The same can not be said about intels integrated graphics.

For OC, 5820K is the better option. + CPU Performance. The TDP is high at 130Watts. But that is not a matter of concern if you are really into OCing.