[SOLVED] Will a pci-e2 power a pci-e3 graphics card?

Frumphecious

Prominent
Dec 17, 2019
Hello, I'm trying squeeze the last bit of life out of my garage desktop. I've searched and searched on this but am not seeing what I need to know. I have an old p6t deluxe v2 mother board, a psu that is well over 1000 watts and I'm wanting to install an amd rx 560 non 6 pin card. It all says the card will be compatible working wise, but is it really gonna work. I rather doubt it will work fully other then giving me basic video. Help is appreciated.

Frumphecious

Prominent
Dec 17, 2019
PCIe slots since the beginning offered 75W total for so-called "high powered" devices.

So yes, it's fine.
The card is a 600 watt min, non 6 pin connector. 75 watts dosent seem appropriate for more then base video. Is there any documentation that you may have to explain your answer further? Maybe something I'm missing. I know it's a bit newer with a bottleneck of around 12-15% with my processor but I would like it to run at its fullest.

USAFRet

Titan
The card is a 600 watt min, non 6 pin connector. 75 watts dosent seem appropriate for more then base video. Is there any documentation that you may have to explain your answer further? Maybe something I'm missing. I know it's a bit newer with a bottleneck of around 12-15% with my processor but I would like it to run at its fullest.
If the GPU does not need its own direct power from the PSU, it gets it from the PCIe slot.
In that respect, all PCIe slots provide the same power. 2 or 3 makes no difference.

Also, how did you determine " a bottleneck of around 12-15%" ?
Please don't say a 'bottleneck calculator'...;)

http://read.pudn.com/downloads166/ebook/758109/PCI_Express_CEM_1.1.pdf, page 36 specifies that 75W is the maximum a PCIe card can draw. The documentation is dated 2005.

AMD specifies that the RX 560 has a "Typical Board Power" of between 60-80W. Though this range is likely covering a sample size of what AMD's board partners do to the cards. But even so, short bursts of 80W is fine.

Reactions: Frumphecious

Frumphecious

Prominent
Dec 17, 2019
If the GPU does not need its own direct power from the PSU, it gets it from the PCIe slot.
In that respect, all PCIe slots provide the same power. 2 or 3 makes no difference.

Also, how did you determine " a bottleneck of around 12-15%" ?
Please don't say a 'bottleneck calculator'...;)
Sadly the first site I used was a calc that gave a reading of 15%. Just a general gathering from multiple sites and reviews. The lowest was 9 or 10, Im just really guestimating. I've done some work on the CPU i7 920 and raised it to around 4 ghz and got the ram timing to 6,6,6,7 so I'm throwing in a half a point for that. I'm just guestimating on the 12-15 though. Thankyou for helping me, you saw what my cpu is, along with an amd hd5870. That's how long I've been out of the game lol.

Frumphecious

Prominent
Dec 17, 2019
http://read.pudn.com/downloads166/ebook/758109/PCI_Express_CEM_1.1.pdf, page 36 specifies that 75W is the maximum a PCIe card can draw. The documentation is dated 2005.

AMD specifies that the RX 560 has a "Typical Board Power" of between 60-80W. Though this range is likely covering a sample size of what AMD's board partners do to the cards. But even so, short bursts of 80W is fine.
Excellent, thank you for humoring me. I get it now. This really helped me to understand what's going on. All I could find was a yes it works but not why. I've never really trusted just a yes it works. I am very thankful for your help.

USAFRet

Titan
Sadly the first site I used was a calc that gave a reading of 15%. Just a general gathering from multiple sites and reviews. The lowest was 9 or 10, Im just really guestimating. I've done some work on the CPU i7 920 and raised it to around 4 ghz and got the ram timing to 6,6,6,7 so I'm throwing in a half a point for that. I'm just guestimating on the 12-15 though. Thankyou for helping me, you saw what my cpu is, along with an amd hd5870. That's how long I've been out of the game lol.
The bottleneck calculators are meaningless. Pure snake oil.
You can't impart a number to it like that.
Avoid at all costs. Tell all your friends.

TRENDING THREADS