Question Will a ( pcie x1 - 2.0) sata 3 adapter be sufficient for a DVD RW

May 18, 2020
Will a (pcie x1 - 2.0) sata 3 adapter be sufficient for a DVD RW

Hi I seen an adapter for extra sata inputs on a pcie x1

my GPU is in pcie x16 3.0
And my NVMe m2.0 is in the pcie x4 2.0

all my sata connections are taken by ssd and hdd and a DVD player

I need one more sata connection so will it work for a dvd Rw to be plugged into a pcie x1 2.0 single sata adapter

any advice on this appreciated
Thanks

blazerboy

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
That pcie lane is beyond capable of it. Pcie 2.0 lanes are 500 MB/s possible, real world isn't as such, but capable of such. Disk drives are far far below that threshold of read/write performance. You could put it in a 1.0 x 1 slot and still have plenty of bandwidth available.

The LG Blu Ray drive, WH16NS40 has a maximum write speed to a blu-ray of 535 mbps, aka roughly 67 MB/ sec maximum possible speed.

A 2.0 pcie slot x1 is 500 MB/sec meaning maximum possible saturation is roughly 14% from one of the quickest optical drives on the market.

I'm other words, you're just fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Loz M 1985
May 18, 2020
do you need 2 dvd drives?

the dvd-rw is also a player. so simply swap out the player for the rw drive and you get both worlds all in one device. :)
Hi yeah I ordered a new case and for some reason the seller already installed it . So thought if they are there already installed in the Case, I can just by an adapter . But yeah I get that too maybe when it arrives I can just remove the drive

thanks for your help

Math Geek

Champion
Ambassador
that makes sense i guess. if its there anyway, why not leave it......

but as blazerboy noted, the card won't have an issue running the drive anyway. so if yu really want to go for it and have drives installed, you'll be good to go with such an adapter

Reactions: Loz M 1985

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS