Loz M 1985

Prominent
May 18, 2020
Will a (pcie x1 - 2.0) sata 3 adapter be sufficient for a DVD RW

Hi I seen an adapter for extra sata inputs on a pcie x1

my GPU is in pcie x16 3.0
And my NVMe m2.0 is in the pcie x4 2.0

all my sata connections are taken by ssd and hdd and a DVD player

I need one more sata connection so will it work for a dvd Rw to be plugged into a pcie x1 2.0 single sata adapter

any advice on this appreciated
Thanks

Solution
That pcie lane is beyond capable of it. Pcie 2.0 lanes are 500 MB/s possible, real world isn't as such, but capable of such. Disk drives are far far below that threshold of read/write performance. You could put it in a 1.0 x 1 slot and still have plenty of bandwidth available.

The LG Blu Ray drive, WH16NS40 has a maximum write speed to a blu-ray of 535 mbps, aka roughly 67 MB/ sec maximum possible speed.

A 2.0 pcie slot x1 is 500 MB/sec meaning maximum possible saturation is roughly 14% from one of the quickest optical drives on the market.

I'm other words, you're just fine.
That pcie lane is beyond capable of it. Pcie 2.0 lanes are 500 MB/s possible, real world isn't as such, but capable of such. Disk drives are far far below that threshold of read/write performance. You could put it in a 1.0 x 1 slot and still have plenty of bandwidth available.

The LG Blu Ray drive, WH16NS40 has a maximum write speed to a blu-ray of 535 mbps, aka roughly 67 MB/ sec maximum possible speed.

A 2.0 pcie slot x1 is 500 MB/sec meaning maximum possible saturation is roughly 14% from one of the quickest optical drives on the market.

I'm other words, you're just fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Loz M 1985
Solution

Loz M 1985

Prominent
May 18, 2020
do you need 2 dvd drives?

the dvd-rw is also a player. so simply swap out the player for the rw drive and you get both worlds all in one device. :)

Hi yeah I ordered a new case and for some reason the seller already installed it . So thought if they are there already installed in the Case, I can just by an adapter . But yeah I get that too maybe when it arrives I can just remove the drive

thanks for your help