B!gMeme

Commendable
Sep 14, 2020
I just got my gtx 960 off ebay, and I want to test it, except that the total system draw with the thing hooked up is above my PSU's wattage. My psu is an old, noname 305 watt, and I am wondering if booting it with the 960 plugged in will kill it, even for a quick post check. I am going to order a better power supply, but I want to make sure that the gpu works before I do anything else. And when I mean an "old psu" I mean a HIPRO psu that would have been inside your grandma's 5 year old desktop. Fortunately, it does have the 6 pin PCIE connector, so I know it could theoretically power it.

Note: I will not be stress testing, only checking to see if it posts/has an output

Last edited:
Solution
If the psu has decent working protections, it won't post with components that can take over its rating. If it doesn't, then it could kill something regardless if it's over or under the rating. It may post but if it goes over it will (hopefully) trip and shut off. I wouldn't test my luck and see if a no name psu's protection works as you are risking seeing fireworks.
If the psu has decent working protections, it won't post with components that can take over its rating. If it doesn't, then it could kill something regardless if it's over or under the rating. It may post but if it goes over it will (hopefully) trip and shut off. I wouldn't test my luck and see if a no name psu's protection works as you are risking seeing fireworks.

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
No testing.

Demanding more power than can be provided by an old PSU could lead to a catastrophic failure.

The end results of that may cause any and all sorts of damage.

Forego any stress testing until you first have new PSU and second, you know that the GPU (and everything else) works with the new PSU.

B!gMeme

Commendable
Sep 14, 2020
No testing.

Demanding more power than can be provided by an old PSU could lead to a catastrophic failure.

The end results of that may cause any and all sorts of damage.

Forego any stress testing until you first have new PSU and second, you know that the GPU (and everything else) works with the new PSU.
Wait, so even just cheking to see if the system posts, and then shutting it off?

TRENDING THREADS