[SOLVED] Will a range extender help with download speeds

TrueAussie

Commendable
Mar 5, 2019
I use my windows 10 pc mainly for gaming and productivity a small issue i have to face are my download speeds. i’m running on 2.4ghz and i have no way to move closer for 5ghz, i’m willing to buy a wifi range extender will that help increase download/upload speeds when downloading games a such on? thanks

QUICK NOTE
My download speeds through applications such as ookla show i get at least 23mbps download speed, but when downloading games through the steam client i average about 4-5mbps

Solution
A wireless range extender is pretty useless.

But an access point is a huge help. If you cannot run an Ethernet cable to an inexpensive router configured as an AP, then buy a pair of AV2-1000 or faster powerline adapters.

Some come in a kit with one to connect to the router and the other containing an LAN port and a wireless radio (the best have 2.4GHz and 5GHz AC).

From your name I assumed that you are not in the US, so here are three examples, ONE, TWO, and THREE.

RealBeast

Titan

But an access point is a huge help. If you cannot run an Ethernet cable to an inexpensive router configured as an AP, then buy a pair of AV2-1000 or faster powerline adapters.

Some come in a kit with one to connect to the router and the other containing an LAN port and a wireless radio (the best have 2.4GHz and 5GHz AC).

From your name I assumed that you are not in the US, so here are three examples, ONE, TWO, and THREE.

Last edited:
Solution

TrueAussie

Commendable
Mar 5, 2019

thanks for the quick reply, i’ll definitely check it out. Thanks