[SOLVED] Will a really old gpu work on a b450?

Drew2345

Reputable
Jul 20, 2019
Hi so i just sold my gpu for a sweet profit and ordered a rtx 2070, the unfortunate part is that itll take a week to arrive. So here i stay staring at my old GT 610 placed on a shelf thinking if it would work on my msi b450 pro carbon max wifi to at liest play some low spec games for the week.

Solution

Yes, it could potentially break the PCI-e slot on the motherboard so yeah its kinda Risky tough this is not a common occurrence but nonetheless it can happen

Drew2345

Reputable
Jul 20, 2019
It will most likely work
I ran a Radeon HD 7000 before which is also very old on a B450 Motherboard
One more thing, last time i used that GPU it worked just fine but that was years ago and in the mean time it was free handled by people coming in and out of my room. So like if the card would be dead from a static shock or so mething, is it possible it could damage other things/components?

Jan 29, 2021
One more thing, last time i used that GPU it worked just fine but that was years ago and in the mean time it was free handled by people coming in and out of my room. So like if the card would be dead from a static shock or so mething, is it possible it could damage other things/components?

Yes it is very possible that the Graphics card already degraded overtime being in a shelf, being in a box is way better because it is isolated from outside factors

But as you said it is Free handled by people, it might get ESD damage, i did once shock my self with the Radeon HD 7000 which is probably ESD but it doesnt broke the card, so there is a good chance the Graphics card might still work, tough dont push it too hard

It might be a little risky putting a Graphics card that already been outside for so long, but its very unlikely that it will cause damage to other component if it fails

Drew2345

Reputable
Jul 20, 2019
Yes it
Yes it is very possible that the Graphics card already degraded overtime being in a shelf, being in a box is way better because it is isolated from outside factors

But as you said it is Free handled by people, it might get ESD damage, i did once shock my self with the Radeon HD 7000 which is probably ESD but it doesnt broke the card, so there is a good chance the Graphics card might still work, tough dont push it too hard
Yes thank you but is there any posibility it could damage other things in my computer?

Jan 29, 2021

Yes, it could potentially break the PCI-e slot on the motherboard so yeah its kinda Risky tough this is not a common occurrence but nonetheless it can happen

Solution

TRENDING THREADS