Question Will a rosewill 1050w power supply work in asus m5a99fx pro r2.0?

darklight7

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2012
I've just been having an issue with my PC just shutting off after a few minutes of gameplay.. then I start it back up and off it goes again after a few minutes of gameplay.. I can see a couple red lights on the motherboard come on..

I'm running:

XFX Radeon RX 480 DirectX 12 RX480M8BFA6 8GB 256-Bit

AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz

So I'm trying a bigger PSU hoping that will solve the issue..

Any ideas?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I've just been having an issue with my PC just shutting off after a few minutes of gameplay.. then I start it back up and off it goes again after a few minutes of gameplay.. I can see a couple red lights on the motherboard come on..

I'm running:

XFX Radeon RX 480 DirectX 12 RX480M8BFA6 8GB 256-Bit

AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz

So I'm trying a bigger PSU hoping that will solve the issue..

Any ideas?

What's the current PSU? It's a big assumption that the problem is lack of wattage. A quality 550W would be fine. But I have no idea what you're currently using. If your wattage is in that range, then I would suspect the PSU quality more than the wattage.

There's certainly nothing remotely indicating you need a 1050W PSU.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
And the last time you thoroughly cleaned the pc, including the heatsinks, fans for both of the coolers and the psu intake dust filter was?

And your temps (use AMD Overdrive thermal margin to see what cpu is doing under gaming conditions, regular temp readers do Not work on FX cpus) are?

Shutdowns after gaming for a short period are usually a very good indicator that something is seriously overheating.

mc_spaceman

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
simple answer to your question, yes that power supply will work, anything higher than a 500w psu should run that whole system.

few questions though;

1. is there coil whine in your current psu? if no; what is the current wattage?
  2. when was the last time you had the heatsync off of the cpu, cleaned and applied fresh thermal paste?
  3. have you ever removed the shoud and heatsync on the video card to clean the old thermal paste off and apply fresh? (sometimes system shutdown is caused from an overheating gpu)
  4. all drivers up to date? a quick run of "iobit - driver booster" will let you know.
  5. speccy/aida screenshot to determine idle/browsing temps?