Will a Rx Vega work on my setup?

kvnhardware

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017
So I was planning on getting a msi rx 580 in November, but I was also wondering about the Rx vega. Someone in a different thread said it might not work on my setup, I wasn't sure if that was because of my power supply or my set up in general, I plan to upgrade my current power supply 500w to 650w.

My current specs:
i7 4790
r9 380
24 gb ram
EVGA 500 w1
motherboard:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CRJSW7A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

kvnhardware

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017

so If I were to get a new psu, would you say that my setup would be able to handle a vega 64?

kvnhardware

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017

Ok, what about a 1070ti would you say that's compatible/ more safe for my setup, I don't want to worry about any problems that have a chance of occurring.

kvnhardware

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017

Ok, I don't know what bottlenecking, so you're saying that a rx vega should work on my setup once I upgrade to a 650 psu, rx vega 64 is the best one?

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Either GPU will work with a new PSU. In well threaded games you still may face bottlenecking from your 4c/8t CPU but as a whole a new GPU would add a hefty frame rate increase. Only a handful of games may, only may not for sure, have slightly lower frame rates then if you say had a 6C/12T+ CPU. I might consider a CPU upgrade down the line, I know I am with my old sandy bridge e i7 3930K 6C/12T @4.2ghz (4.6 capable) is still working wonders in gaming. In fact it keeps up or more accurately usually beats what a Ryzen 1000 series (6/8C with 12/16T) is capable of in gaming as long as I run the PCIe 3.0 patch for my platform. Point being is decent gaming CPUs like ours have a much longer shelf life then they use to. I am waiting for PCIe 4.0 or 5.0 to drop before my next upgrade but only you can answer what "necessitates" upgrade time.

kvnhardware

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017

Ok so what you're saying is that is will work with my pc, but some games but have frame issues? Also if do you know if the rx vega 64 is the right one I should get?, I also may upgrade cpu later, but at the moment I'm looking to just upgrade my gpu

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
There is no "right" GPU to get. I tend to buy nvidia GPUs because especially as of late, they tend to have the fastest cards but you pay for that premuim. AMD tends to be the best bang for the buck. Let's break this down a lil.

GTX 1070 < RX Vega 56 < GTX 1070 Ti < RX vega 64 < GTX 1080 < GTX 1080 Ti *

So what you need to ask yourself is what amount of performance do you wish to pay for. Your CPU can handle any GPU out on the market this second...including the new RTX cards which are not worth the price IMHO. So let's stick to last gen stuff like you were talking. I would buy most powerful card you can afford while still getting your PSU unit. There are other schools of thought though. Do you plan on adaptive sync tech down the road? You pay more for nvidia solutions over AMD. Or do you like using GPU accelerated physx like myself (very niche but lets just include it anyways)? Then Nvidia is a better choice. I cannot tell you which GPU is right for you but I can say you would be very happy with any of the cards you or I listed. One thing I can say is I would likely consider the GTX 1070 Ti/1080 or RX Vega 64 because going from a RX 580 you'll more likely to see a more noticeable FPS boost going that route compared to the GTX 1070 or RX Vega 56. IMO

*according to Tomshardware