[SOLVED] Will a Ryzen 3 2200G bottleneck a GTX 1660?

Sep 27, 2018
I'm buying a budget PC setup with a GTX 1660 and a Ryzen 3 2200G. I'm looking to play games at low settings for higher framerates and I'm also getting a 144hz monitor. I also have 8gb ram. Will the 2200G bottleneck my 1660? (not ti, just 1660)

I'm not really willing to buy anything more expensive than that.

Solution
A Ryzen cpu does not have integrated graphics. It's all cpu, Lcache.
The Raven Ridge APU's (2200G/2400G) literally took half of a Ryzen cpu and threw it in the trash, and replaced the missing half with a gpu. The Vega graphics isn't really an integrated gpu, like the small portion on an intel die, it's basically a standalone chip under the lid.

If you think of a Ryzen cpu as (made up dimensions) a 1inch square die inside the lid you can see, the 2200G is 1inch by ½inch cpu, 1inch by ½inch gpu.

It's like going to the store and they give you the option, for the same amount of money you can walk away with just the left shoe, or with both feet.

Intel is integrated gpu, it's still a whole cpu, but the sole of one foot has a different...

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
I'm buying a budget PC setup with a GTX 1660 and a Ryzen 3 2200G. I'm looking to play games at low settings for higher framerates and I'm also getting a 144hz monitor. I also have 8gb ram. Will the 2200G bottleneck my 1660? (not ti, just 1660)

I'm not really willing to buy anything more expensive than that.
What does a Ryzen 5 1600 cost in your region?

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
149 in Australian dollars. Also, that’s not the question...
The question is completely unanswerable. There are too many variables to adequately answer this question. And yes depending on the game and settings it will likely bottleneck the GPU. There is always a bottleneck with any CPU and GPU and depending on the settings the burden can be shifted one way or the other. The 2 CPU's cost the same here which is why I asked. The 1600 is a much better CPU for any discrete GPU. Buying a quad core in 2019 is a terrible Idea. Especially if you aren't going to use the integrated graphics.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Be nice. Look at it from the other perspective. OP already has the APU and is looking to upgrade the gpu....

No, to answer the question correctly, a cpu will not bottleneck a gpu. A bottleneck is a component that slows down the flow of info. The cpu will absolutely never slow down any flow of info at anything less than 100% usage. It'll always work at a 100% ability, and it is what it is. If the cpu is capable in a game of delivering an average of 100fps, that's what it's going to send to the gpu. Doesn't matter if the gpu is capable of greater fps, it's still going to put that 100fps on screen. Having the gpu capable of more just means it's partially unused ability, not that the flow of info is somehow slowed down. Change to a different game and the cpu might be capable of only 60fps or could be capable of 300fps, that's entirely dependent on the game code.

Common misconception about bottleneck has it that the gpu is stronger than the cpu in a majority of games. Fact is, the 2200G is an APU. Half the die is dedicated to the Vega graphics, so something had to be sacrificed to make room, namely the Lcache. Not so important when the igpu is already using system ram, but a short change of ability with any dedicated gpu.

Moving to a higher power gpu means only one thing, you'll be able to max out graphics on a vast majority of games, but don't count on high fps, the cpu isn't that capable. You'll more than likely see an fps increase over using the Vega graphics, but that's only due to the gpu allowing full range fps, unlike the Vega graphics which tanks fps at higher detail settings.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Bunch of garbage. The chance of a gtx1660ti causing fps loss would only happen at 1440p/4k. The gtx1660ti is strong enough to handle anything at 1080p, it's stronger than a gtx1070, occasionally stronger than a gtx1080 and right behind the RTX 2060.

Causing a 15% loss at 1080p? Haha, what a joke.

149 in Australian dollars. Also, that’s not the question...
Thats not the point. The g in 2200g means graphics. With raven ridge you get a first gen ryzen with some graphics. Its memory is slower and pci slot is limited to 8x.

Why buy a 2200g if you are buying a graphics card?

That said theres an ideal balance between cpu and gpu choice. Put a ferrari engine in beetle or put a beetle engine in a ferrari. You arent really going to go that fast either way. Put a corvette engine in a corvette and you have something.

The ideal stack looks like:
Cpu Put together draw commands
Cpu Send draw commands
Gpu starts rendering
Cpu Process inputs
Cpu Process character ai and rules
Gpu gets done
Cpu puts together draw commands
Repeat....

Gpu is too fast you are waiting on cpu. Cpu is too fast you are waiting for gpu to finish.

Hence a balance. A 1600 would be a better mate. That said if you are stuck with a 2200g then i would lower the power consumption on the graphics side with lower voltage and graphics clocks and try to overclock the cpu side.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018
Thats not the point. The g in 2200g means graphics. With raven ridge you get a first gen ryzen with some graphics. Its memory is slower and pci slot is limited to 8x.

Why buy a 2200g if you are buying a graphics card?

That said theres an ideal balance between cpu and gpu choice. Put a ferrari engine in beetle or put a beetle engine in a ferrari. You arent really going to go that fast either way. Put a corvette engine in a corvette and you have something.

The ideal stack looks like:
Cpu Put together draw commands
Cpu Send draw commands
Gpu starts rendering
Cpu Process inputs
Cpu Process character ai and rules
Gpu gets done
Cpu puts together draw commands
Repeat....

Gpu is too fast you are waiting on cpu. Cpu is too fast you are waiting for gpu to finish.

Hence a balance. A 1600 would be a better mate. That said if you are stuck with a 2200g then i would lower the power consumption on the graphics side with lower voltage and graphics clocks and try to overclock the cpu side.

What If I'm not trying to take advantage of the integrated graphics? WDYM why buy a 2200g when you are buying a graphics card? Thats like asking me why don't you use intel hd graphics instead of a gpu. What I'm asking is, integrated graphics aside, will the cpu cause a major bottleneck on the gpu. (Example scenario, playing fortnite on low settings will get around 150+ fps on a gtx 1060 i believe so will this gpu and cpu combo get somewhat close or higher? I don't want to take advantage or use the integrated graphics at all.

maverick0011

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017
What If I'm not trying to take advantage of the integrated graphics? WDYM why buy a 2200g when you are buying a graphics card? Thats like asking me why don't you use intel hd graphics instead of a gpu. What I'm asking is, integrated graphics aside, will the cpu cause a major bottleneck on the gpu. (Example scenario, playing fortnite on low settings will get around 150+ fps on a gtx 1060 i believe so will this gpu and cpu combo get somewhat close or higher? I don't want to take advantage or use the integrated graphics at all.
The answer is YES in bandwidth on the PCI-E slot, not to mention you're also going to bottleneck with just 8gb of ram, 16 is the recommended minimum in most cases these days, 8 is the bare minimum.

And youre not getting it. You're giving up fps for a graphics apu side youlll never use. If you dropped the 2200g and went with a 1600 you would be better off. Intel hd graphics aside to amd vega integrated graphics comparison is not apples to apples because intel doesnt give you much a price break for the lack of an igpu where amd does. On fact intel charges slightly more in some cases for the versions without an igpu because they theoretically should clock higher.

Youll be lucky to hit 70-80 fps with that combo. I adjusted these numbers factoring in your memory limitations and assuming you aren't overclocking.

Overclocked with a 16 GB memory, 6GB 1060 will net you about 90-100 fps @ 1080p. This is a rough average and can dip significantly. A 3GB 1060 will handicap you as the GPU graphics bandwidth isn't the same.

A Ryzen 1600 overclocked will net you about 105-115 fps depending on settings and which graphics card you have.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
A Ryzen cpu does not have integrated graphics. It's all cpu, Lcache.
The Raven Ridge APU's (2200G/2400G) literally took half of a Ryzen cpu and threw it in the trash, and replaced the missing half with a gpu. The Vega graphics isn't really an integrated gpu, like the small portion on an intel die, it's basically a standalone chip under the lid.

If you think of a Ryzen cpu as (made up dimensions) a 1inch square die inside the lid you can see, the 2200G is 1inch by ½inch cpu, 1inch by ½inch gpu.

It's like going to the store and they give you the option, for the same amount of money you can walk away with just the left shoe, or with both feet.

Intel is integrated gpu, it's still a whole cpu, but the sole of one foot has a different grip. Still get both feet.

That's all that was mentioned, if buying a cpu, why spend $150 for ½ cpu/½gpu if you aren't going to use it, better to buy a stronger whole cpu.
---
That said, the gpu has nothing to do with fps. The gpu deals with resolution and settings. If in fortnite the cpu can only put out 150fps, it wouldn't matter if you sli 4x rtx2080ti at 480p, you still only get possible 150fps. The gpu is responsible to put that 150fps on screen. A Gt710 would suffer and not be able to get more than 30fps on screen at ultra, 50fps at medium and 60fps at low/min settings, but that's not adding to the total, nothing can. A gtx1660 could put fortnite at 150fps at medium, 150fps at high, 150fps at ultra. Because that's all the fps the cpu gives it. It's not a bottleneck, the info isn't slowed down, the gpu gets what it gets, period. Changing from a 2200G at 150fps capable to a Ryzen5 1600 means a stronger cpu, and 300fps capable, so the 1660 gets 300fps at medium, 270fps at high and 250fps at ultra. Or maybe 300fps across the board.

The gpu can never increase the amount of pre-rendered frames from the cpu, no matter what. A weak cpu = low fps limits, a strong cpu = high fps limits, the gpu is either strong enough to do the job, or not.

Solution

InvalidError

Titan
What If I'm not trying to take advantage of the integrated graphics? WDYM why buy a 2200g when you are buying a graphics card? Thats like asking me why don't you use intel hd graphics instead of a gpu.
All of Intel's mainstream CPUs have an IGP, so there is no getting away from having the IGP in there, be it unused or disabled. On AMD's side though, only the Ryzen 2200G and 2400G have an IGP, the 1xxx and 2600+ don't and the 1600/2600 are far superior CPUs compared to the 2200G with 4X as much L3 cache, 50% more cores and SMT for another 30-40% extra performance in more heavily threaded workloads. That's why people are telling you the 2200G makes little to no sense if you aren't going to use the IGP and can get a 1600/2600 for a similar price.

Jul 15, 2019
Well, as far as I know, the 2200G can make the work of a low-end entry Intel i3-i5 (at least performs better than my brother's G4560, but the Vega 8 can't beat the GT 1030, only if OCed). That's why I bought one and... it's doing well, even better than I expected. But I knew one thing before the purchase: the GPU upgrade can be unviable if I keep the APU. Because of the Vega 8 and 11, AMD just throwed away the CPU potential of both Ravens, making them weaker comparing even to the first Ryzen gen. But you can still get some GPUs like GTX 1050 (Ti), RX 570, RX 580, even the GTX 1060 with minor "FPS loss" (because you don't lose FPS, they just aren't used).
So, if you want a PC but you can't afford the CPU + GPU combo, you can get the R3 2200G or the R5 2400G without any problem and get your dedicated GPU later, but if can afford it, take any quad+ Ryzen, i5 or i7 CPU. You will have more FPS and stability with a dedicated CPU and GPU, no matter their tier.

TRENDING THREADS