[SOLVED] Will a RYZEN 3800x bottleneck my 1080ti?

May 19, 2020
So i just pruchased a 3800x and a Asus Prime X-570, i'm planning to sell my current cpu and motherboard to a friend who needs a pc upgrade and doesnt really have the money to do it.

My question is, will the 3800x bottleneck my GTX 1080ti? The model is a ASUS Turbo GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB DDR5X.

May 19, 2020
Thank you for the quick reply. Can you help me out with something else? I currently own a CoolerMaster v650 semi modular PSU and the motherboard i'm planning to buy has a 8+4 connection for the CPU. My PSU has no 8+4 cable, only the 8 one. Will the cpu have enough power delivery using only the 8pin connector? Thanks.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
  1. absolutely not. If anything it'll be the reverse if you move upto 4k resolution.
  2. you'll be fine with the 4+4, you'll only need the extra +4 if you go hog-crazy on the OC and try for world records. The V series is about as good as it gets from a CM psu, quite respectable, you'll be fine.

Reactions: RodroX

JuhaniPelaa

Commendable
Dec 31, 2019
PSU and the motherboard i'm planning to buy has a 8+4 connection for the CPU. My PSU has no 8+4 cable, only the 8 one. Will the cpu have enough power delivery using only the 8pin connector?
Yes it will work perfectly fine if you run at stock speed and voltage.
No overclocking will maximize the chances that it wont fail.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
My question is, will the 3800x bottleneck my GTX 1080ti? The model is a ASUS Turbo GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB DDR5X.

You are asking the wrong question.

There is no ideal CPU-to-GPU match. It depends on the following factors:
  • What is your monitor's resolution?
  • What is your monitor's refresh rate?
  • Does your monitor have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?
  • What specific games are you going to play?

Beyond that, I would definitely advise getting a better PSU. Click on the first link in my sig for a post describing the good vs the bad in power supplies.

Last edited:

JuhaniPelaa

Commendable
Dec 31, 2019
your psu power plus should match your power inputs. upgrade the psu with one that matches.
It does not need to match. If the user does not overclock the system will work with 8pin power even if it would ”require” 8+4pin

Coolermaster PSUs tend to be low quality, however.
I have the same experience.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Op doesn't need a better psu. Do your homework, stop looking at just the name. It's not the G series or masterwatt. The V series is dc-dc, gold rated 80+ and ranks as good as a Seasonic Focus/Corsair TX.

Out of all the CM psus he could have chosen, he DID pick the good one.

You can run a 3950x on 4+4 EPS all day long, with OC or PBO. Just don't expect record breaking results. But for an everyday OC it'll be just fine, even if the 3800x is nothing more except an overly expensive, better binned, more power hungry version of a 3700x. Almost identical performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: rigg42

TRENDING THREADS