Question Will a Ryzen 5 7600 bottleneck an RX 7900 XTX ?

Jul 29, 2023
Hi all,

Thinking about building an all new pc next year as my main rig I built 5 years ago (Ryzen 7 1700 & RX 580 8gb) Is really starting to show its age in games - especially the CPU, as my first gen Ryzen sometimes stuggles to keep up with even an RX 580.

I realistically have a budget of about £1500 give or take. I can just about fit an RX 7900 XTX 24gb in that budget, but just wondering if I should, considering I'll be pairing it with the cheapest CPU currently for the AM5 socket.

I'm only going to be using the computer for gaming, with the potential for some relatively light video editing further down the light if I wish.

Short answer... no.

Longer discussion.....
There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.

There is always a limiting factor, usually cpu or gpu.
And, not at the same time.

Making decisions for a next year build is a bit premature.
Still, it gives you some time to think about it.

You probably should be looking at some sort of balance of the cpu vs. cpu equation.
What kinds of games do you play? some like sims, mmo and strategy games are cpu dependent, and often depend on fast single thread performance.
If you play multiplayer with many participants, many processing threads is good. Otherwise, it is hard to effectively make use of much more than 8 threads.
If you play fast action games, a strong graphics card is in order.
If you play at higher than 1080P resolution, gpu becomes even more important.

Your budget will allow a significant boost.
Do you have any parts that can be reused?
Case/storage/psu???

On your current parts, see how the rx580 falls on this tom's gpu hierarchy chart:
Not very high, I think, but 7900XTX is likely too much to spend given your budget.
7600 is likely too little.
Run the cpu-Z bench on your r7-1700 and look at the single thread performance rating.
You should score about 445.
Here are some other scores:

Think in terms of budgeting 2x the cost of the cpu for the graphics card

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
It would be worthwhile to consider whether the motherboard you are using has BIOS updates for 5xxx CPU. Would probably also consider RAM unless what you are using now is 3200 speed or better. I rather doubt it considering the memory controllers in first gen. In my own experience they didn't like anything over ~2933.

Anywho, something like a 5800X3D would be a superb update if support is there. In the consideration of doing some editing, the plain X skew will be better for that (and less expensive).

Hi all,

Thinking about building an all new pc next year as my main rig I built 5 years ago (Ryzen 7 1700 & RX 580 8gb) Is really starting to show its age in games - especially the CPU, as my first gen Ryzen sometimes stuggles to keep up with even an RX 580.

I realistically have a budget of about £1500 give or take. I can just about fit an RX 7900 XTX 24gb in that budget, but just wondering if I should, considering I'll be pairing it with the cheapest CPU currently for the AM5 socket.

I'm only going to be using the computer for gaming, with the potential for some relatively light video editing further down the light if I wish.
On poorly written games like skylines 2 or star citizen every CPU is the bottleneck. But with 7900xtx and the vast majority of games at 4k (2180p) it will be a good balance between CPU and GPU. As time marches on your GPU will be the bigger bottleneck. That said a 7900XT is a better match for 7600 CPU.

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
Thanks everyone, I will probably go with a RX 7900 XT instead of the XTX
i ran a 7600x with a 7900xtx worked fine !!
Like in another post here you dont buy a 7900xtx to game at 1080p and at 1440 or 4k the 7600x will be doing very little !!

Nothing wrong with the 7900xt though another option would be to go a 7700 non x and the 7900xt or even a 7900 non x for that better production

If you have a budget, and I see that you do, then adhere to that budget and balance your cpu/gpu selections to fit.

If, on the there hand, you have the funds and are trying to decide, my advice is to buy the better product.
I have found that the sting of a higher price is relatively short.
The joy of a lower price is short lived and you will forever be second guessing yourself if you buy the lesser product.

TRENDING THREADS