Will a Ryzen R7 1800x Fit into my motherboard?

harryedward.rowe

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017
A'ight so I've recently upgraded my GPU, no issues there now. However I'm still running an intel i5 4460.

I noticed that with amazon prime I can get the new CPU in question, however I'm not sure it'll fit onto my mobo?

H81M-S2H is the system model. I'm aware it's quite old but I really have no idea how to check this stuff and couldn't find anything elsewhere.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

PS: If the Ryzen isn't the best choice here, is there an intel based model you'd recommend as an alternative?

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

Well, i don't want to make you sound stupid here but, AMD CPU's and Intel CPU's haven't slot into the same socket for years. So not it will not. For the Ryzen you need socket AM4, your motherboard is not. it's LGA, completely different.

antishill

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
Well if you just want to glue the ryzen on top that intel sticker on outside of your case, a bit of super glue and it will definitely fit. If you wanted to improve sound deadening you can glue a whole bunch of them on the inside of your case, like the way you would tile a kitchen countertop and they will fit. Get a tile cutter to cut them to fit in the odd corners and such.

But in all seriousness, there is no good reason to get a CPU for a haswell 4th gen platform that really has no future path. Any money tossed at this will be money put into a dead end platform. Any upgrades for an i5 4460 is going to be expensive i7 of one flavor or another and unless you get someone to make you get a great deal, you are looking at north of $150, which is probably why your are thinking Ryzen.

What you are looking at is a platform upgrade, i.e. CPU, mobo, and memory. And to get something that will seriously out perform your i5-4460, it is not going to be cheap and Ryzen may not even cut it, if you wanted to do top-end gaming. You may need to seriously consider building around a 8600K or 8700k.

harryedward.rowe

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017

No offense taken, I'm incredibly stupid when it comes to this sort of thing :p

harryedward.rowe

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017

Sarcasm wasn't necessary but I still appreciate the advice, thank ya

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

XD so do you want a CPU upgrade or are you looking into coming to the dark side (Team AMD), I can pick out a Ryzen build if you want, or I can look into a better CPU. All I need to know is what your using it for and what resolution.

harryedward.rowe

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017
XD so do you want a CPU upgrade or are you looking into coming to the dark side (Team AMD), I can pick out a Ryzen build if you want, or I can look into a better CPU. All I need to know is what your using it for and what resolution.[/quotemsg]

Gaming at 1080p, probs 1440 in the future. But as I said I already have a 1080ti. If I can get the same sort of results I want just from upgrading to a better intel processor then that sounds much easier than getting a whole new build. But heyho, I'm the dumb one 'ere :p Preferably *just* a cpu upgrade but even then I barely know what I'm looking at

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017
Well, i did a bit of looking and you can get an I7 4770k for around 300-350 or you can drop to an i7 4770 for around 275-300. Only difference is the K scew can be over clocked which your motherboard supports ish, you can overclock a little on h81 but not much, most i have seen is 4ghz.

harryedward.rowe

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017

Okay so in summary, best I can do upgrade wise is a 4770k, anything higher and I'd need to get a new motherboard entirely, correct?

Sorry if I sound ignorant. It's almost 3am and I'm in way out of my depth here.

antishill

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
If you got a 1080ti and do not want a CPU that gimps it, your only real option right now is the 8700k. The 7700K will be a noticeable improvement, and is real close the 8700k, but at around $25 of the 8700K, there is no good reason to go with the 7700k for an upgrade.

See:

http://www.legitreviews.com/cpu-bottleneck-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-tested-on-amd-ryzen-versus-intel-kaby-lake_192585/4

https://www.techspot.com/article/1496-pairing-cpu-and-gpu-bottlenecking/

https://m.hardocp.com/article/2017/05/26/definitive_amd_ryzen_7_realworld_gaming_guide/13

The 4th gen haswell i7 will still bottleneck that 1080ti. Going Ryzen is not going to get you more gaming performance.You go Ryzen for work (a.k.a. compute) related workloads.

You will need a new motherboard and DDR4 memory going to the current generation level of processors.But if you are going to spend $300 or more on CPU, you want to be sure it is getting the performance in the area that counts for you.

You can effectively get the 8700K for $300 here at microcenter:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/486088/Core_i7-8700K_Coffee_Lake_37_GHz_LGA_1151_Boxed_Processor

because it comes with the $30 discount for your motherboard.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

Seeing as the most he can do is about 300 it wouldn't make sense to buy the 8700k since he would need a new motherboard and DDR4 which would bring the cost to closer to 500-600 depending on the parts, doesn't seam like thats in the budget for the OP. Since the OP only has around 300 or so to spend on a CPU he will be better of with the 4770k and doing a bit of overclocking and the bottle neck will be small, almost nothing compared to his current CPU.