Will a sandisk ultra ii be bottlenecked by SATA II?

csjdruid

Reputable
Nov 11, 2015
Hi,

So for my new budget gaming pc, I went with an i5 2400 paired with an asus h61 motherboard and shortly after I got it I realized that it only has Sata ii 3gb/s. I checked the ssd that i'm probably gonna get which is the ultra ii and saw that it has 6gb/s on it. Would my sata ii bottleneck it's performance? Would I be better of with a normal hard drive?

Thanks

Solution
A SATA III SSD in a SATA II port will be held back a little. But probably not enough to notice.
And it will still be far faster than a spinning HDD.

Cole_9

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
Yes. Not by much, but for me at least it is definitely noticeable. Sata 3 throughput is a maximum of 600 Mbps where as sata 2 I believe is around 150. The ultra SSD have a maximum data read and write transfer speed of around 550 mbs. On sata 2 you may average around 120 Mbps compared to the 2 to 300 you might average on sata 3

USAFRet

Titan

SATA II is 300
SATA I would be 150.

csjdruid

Reputable
Nov 11, 2015
Ok so I checked the benchmarks and saw that you get 360 mb/s real world avarage read and like 500 write. I don't really care about write tho just cuz most things I write onto my drive is stuff from the internet and since I only get like 10 mp/s, it doesn't really matter right? I don't really know benchmarks for ssd's so by the looks of this: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8520/sandisk-ultra-ii-240gb-ssd-review 300mb/s would be ok?

USAFRet

Titan

Your internet speed has absolutely nothing to do with the SSD speed.

That Sandisk will be just fine.