Will a sandy bridge mobo flash with an ivy bridge cpu ?

Mate Kristof

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
My question is the following: I bought a 2nd gen gigabyte mobo, (GA-Z68XP-UD5) and I'm planning to pair it up with an 3rd gen i5 3570K...on gigabyte's website they say that this model is ready for next gen processors, the only thing I need is a BIOS update...so my question was, do I have any chance to get this two components working before the update ? Or If not, do I have to have a 2nd gen CPU installed before the update ?

Thanks for the help, Mate.

Mate Kristof

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013

I ordered the motherboard on ebay, and i haven't received it yet. This is the picture the seller uploaded:
$T2eC16R,!)gFIgi3m7WCBSJo43q6jw~~60_57.JPG

On that picture, no.
Edit: It looks like 1120 to me. If 1120 and he hasn't updated the BIOS, then the CPU is not supported (the board was manufactured in 2011).
You'd need a supported CPU for updating the BIOS.

Mate Kristof

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013

The mobo is arriving between the 17th and 25th of oct. so i will have to wait a bit. But i am thinking now, that i might buy a 2500K, so i dont have all those compatibility issues, and dont have to mess around with the BIOS. Is it worth not going with the 3570K, or should i take the risk ? (I dont have a SB CPU, so i dont know how to update the BIOS)

I suggest contacting the seller. He most probably updated the BIOS. If not, then yes, the 2500k would be an option.
Apart from the PCIe 3.0 support, the integrated graphics (4000 vs 3000), slightly increased memory bandwidth, no signifacnt differences in performance. For regular use, they would performe the same.

Mate Kristof

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013

The seller finally replied, and it seems that everything is going to be fine. The SN was 1126 so you were right, its kinda old, but he said that is should support a 3770K...so im not that worried anymore, Im giong to buy the 3570K and hope that everything works. However thanks for the support and help !