[SOLVED] Will a server motherboard work with a non-server chassis?

Apr 5, 2021
So stupid question (and probably overthinking this), but would an ATX Server-grade Motherboard work without any issues with a non-server-grade chassis and PSU?

Reason I am asking is I am putting together a small server tower to run next to my gaming rig to host several servers off of for me and my community members to play on via VM Ware, and each server chassis I have found is ridiculously expensive compare to a regular case (Granted they include the PSU, but even then I can get a case and PSU separate for non-server parts for far cheaper).

Note this is not for a business or enterprise-grade hardware. It is strictly to run servers such as ARK, Minecraft, Conan Exiles, etc., off of it on a 2Gbit/sec Internet package.

Would using a non-server chassis and PSU damage the motherboard and associated server-grade parts, or would they work just fine together without problems?

For reference, the motherboard/CPU combo I am getting for my setup is as follows:

Motherboard:
SUPERMICRO MBD-H11SSL-I

CPU:
AMD EPYC Rome 16-core 7302P

Memory:
128GB ECC Registered PC4-25600 DDR4-3200 RDIMM RAM

OS: Windows Server 2019 Essentials with VMWare (like Oracle VirtualBox) to run virtual servers as instances inside it.

If this is the wrong section, please let me know, and/or move it to the correct location (or let me know where to move it to). Thank You in advance for any input/advice.

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

So long as you can connect the power to the board with it's connectors populated(meaning nothing is left unpopulated, power wise), you're good to go. You should make sure that the PSU you're looking at has the necessary connectors for your motherboard.

As for the case, you will either need to look a rack mount or a chassis that fits a board that big, might even need to mod the case to allow for the case to accept it.

That being said, what case and PSU are you looking at?

Lutfij

Titan

So long as you can connect the power to the board with it's connectors populated(meaning nothing is left unpopulated, power wise), you're good to go. You should make sure that the PSU you're looking at has the necessary connectors for your motherboard.

As for the case, you will either need to look a rack mount or a chassis that fits a board that big, might even need to mod the case to allow for the case to accept it.

Solution
Apr 5, 2021

I am just going to submit the links to the items in question to make it easier. The links are all from Newegg.com:

Motherboard/CPU Combo: https://www.newegg.com/supermicro-m...-epyc-7000-series-processor/p/N82E16813183698

Case: https://www.newegg.com/black-antec-gaming-new-vision-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811129246

PSU: https://www.newegg.com/corsair-sf-series-sf450-450w/p/N82E16817139156

And I figured that would be the case, I just wasn't sure if there were some special hardware needed for cases / psu's that a server mobo needed specifically or not. Again, I am setting this up as a home-server for game servers (not for business or commercial use of any type). I am looking at server-grade mobo/cpu/ram for the ECC Registered memory, and high RAM support to provide upgradeability and scalability if I later decide to turn it into a business later if enough of my community members like it.