Will a SSD work with an OEM MB?

Midnight_Runner

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Hello all ^_^

I am considering purchasing a SSD to use as a boot drive (probably a 120 GB model) However, I have an older MB (Asus OEM model for HP, m2n61-ar "acacia" Nvidia chipset) which I think has the original SATA (not SATA II or III)

I have Windows 7 64 bit home premium, so I know that the software should support AHCI, but will my motherboard be able to handle the SSD?

Solution
SATA devices are backwards compatible so your SSD will work on a SATA 1 port, but only at SATA 1 speeds.

AHCI is a SATA port mode (setting), so it is not Windows but your motherboard that has to support AHCI. If your motherboard doesn't support AHCI mode your SSD will work but it will be slower.
SATA devices are backwards compatible so your SSD will work on a SATA 1 port, but only at SATA 1 speeds.

AHCI is a SATA port mode (setting), so it is not Windows but your motherboard that has to support AHCI. If your motherboard doesn't support AHCI mode your SSD will work but it will be slower.

Solution

Midnight_Runner

Honorable
May 24, 2012
How do I determine if my Motherboard supports AHCI? It's not mentioned in any of the documentation on HP's website (not that they really put ANY information about the motherboard up :fou: )

Let's say worst case scenario, my motherboard doesn't support AHCI. Would the SSD still be > a conventional HD? Would it still be worth purchasing? (in terms of cost-to-benefit)

Also, would my motherboard's lack of AHCI affect the lifespan of the SSD?

To me it's not worth it to buy a SSD to connect to a SATA 1 port, regardless of whether or not the port can be switched to AHCI mode.

No, the lack of AHCI does not affect the lifespan of the SSD.

Midnight_Runner

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Well, after checking the BIOS and installing a Hardware Info utility, I have SATA II

So I would still see a performance boost, though only about 90% of the total performance possible.

Since I have an Nvidia chipset I do NOT have TRIM.
Can a SSD run long term without TRIM? Or would I be looking at a bricked HD in a year or two?

Midnight_Runner

Honorable
May 24, 2012

excellent; I'll snag an SSD before the sale ends >:D - thanks!