Will a surge protection extension protect my pc during power outages?

UsaidYousaf

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016
I know that these extensions provide protection against lightning and such but will it work for a normal power outage.

I live in the UK and my house has an electrical fault where sometimes all power will be lost to the house. I don't want my PC to be damaged due to these outages and was wondering if a surge protector extension will help it?

Solution
it wont...you need a battery backup system to keep the system up after the loss of power so it can shut down safe before the ups battery power runs out.
Depends on what you mean by "protect"

The surge protector will prevent a rouge voltage spike from entering your computer and frying everything.
A surge protector will not keep your PC powered on so that you can do a proper shutoff and thus prevent any file corruption or any other issues that can arise from abrupt power loss.

If you want to fully protect your PC you need a battery backup UPS.

UsaidYousaf

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016

Is this product good for what I want? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-BSV400-Surge-Protection-Strip/dp/B00OE4510M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1469828680&sr=8-2&keywords=belkin+4+way+surge+protector
What I care most about is my internal components being taken care of. I don't mind the corruption an abrupt outage could cause

MERGED QUESTION
Question from UsaidYousaf : "Will a surge protection extension protect my pc during power outages?"

yes it probably will protect from associated spikes etc., you'll not be able to use it. BUT fix the electrical fault.

UsaidYousaf

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016

So youre sure that this product will prevent my components being fried in cases of power outages?

We cant guarantee anything. It will provide more protection then nothing at all for sure.
Will it help a bad electronic from frying the rest of them, yep.
Will it prevent damage from typical lightining strkes, yep.
Will it prevent damage from bad grounds or massive constant power spikes, nope.

UsaidYousaf

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016

So basically, it will help the power outages but not if theyre constant?

a power outage is a surge of voltage/current that causes a quick spike and then everything shuts off due to a safeguard being tripped.
There is no such thing as a constant power outage spike because the power spikes for a second and goes back down. There can be consistent power outages that happen frequently, but not constant power outages.

Constant power issues is if there is faulty wiring in your home and much much more voltage/current is allowed to go through the circuit then it should.
Or if your house is not grounded properly.

UsaidYousaf

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016

Well there is a faulty line in my house but its only been triggered twice in the past 2 months. Will this extension protect my parts if these outages are theses frequent?

We are not going to guarantee anything because we cant. The only thing we can guarantee is if you don't plug the computer in at all, it is safe from power issues.
This will for sure be far better then nothing, but if you have issues with your home wiring then you need to fix it.

UsaidYousaf

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016

Thank you, I will be purchasing the one you linked :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There is nothing in your entire house that's strong enough to trip the mains breaker, everything prior should be on its own breaker at a much lower amperage, which will trip first. So your electrical issue is somewhere between the mains breaker and the service from the power company. Call them first. Have them check the lines. They'll do this all the way to your meter. Between the meter and the mains breaker it's on you. If they say nothing is wrong with the lines, call an electrician. If you don't do this, it won't be long before not only the pc is shocked, but TV's and other electronics that happen to be on like routers, monitors, modems, cable boxes etc.

TRENDING THREADS