Question Will a switch combine packets from 100Mb connections to 1Gb

alphadogg123

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
I have 20 cameras that each record with 8 megabit per second each has a 100Mb ethernet connection while the network cables and switches are 1 gigabit capable. Will my switch automatically sort the packets into the 1Gb connection to my server? Or will that connection be limited by the fact the cameras are connected by a slower 100Mb connection.

I am going to assume you have something like a 24 port switch ?

Most these devices can run all ports at full speed in and out all at the same time. So a 24 port switch with all gigabit ports can run 48gbit of traffic. There is no realistic application that could ever use that much.

The limit would more be if your cameras put out say 50mbps each. If you run 20 of those you would be at the limit of the 1gbit cable going to the server. In many cases the network is not the bottleneck the software or maybe the disk on the server would be the bottleneck.

In general you should have no network issues but if you are running something like a daisy chain of switches with say 100mbps ports between them you could have issues.

alphadogg123

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
The cameras are supposed to do 8Mb max.
Yeah speccing is going to be troublesome most pages say Intel 6th hd630 quick sync is all you need but I think I’ll end up with 12th gen or even a discrete gpu.

alphadogg123

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
I am going to assume you have something like a 24 port switch ?

Most these devices can run all ports at full speed in and out all at the same time. So a 24 port switch with all gigabit ports can run 48gbit of traffic. There is no realistic application that could ever use that much.

The limit would more be if your cameras put out say 50mbps each. If you run 20 of those you would be at the limit of the 1gbit cable going to the server. In many cases the network is not the bottleneck the software or maybe the disk on the server would be the bottleneck.

In general you should have no network issues but if you are running something like a daisy chain of switches with say 100mbps ports between them you could have issues.
As above, you're using a 24 port switch?

What specific cameras?

Recording all the time? Or motion detection.
Saving to what device?

I have 2x Reolink RL-423.
6-7.5Mbps bit rate, recording 24/7.
30 days recording = approx 1.2TB per 30 days for each camera.

The main switch is something like that yes but 100Mb which I’ll be upgrading but I’ll be connecting elsewhere in the building to another switch connected to that.

Yeah reolinks are the plan but just trialling the 1 before a bigger purchase with a rlc-810a it’s 4k 25fps. Hoping for a massive saving using motion recording or whatever it’s called as most the cams should be in a closed business.

alphadogg123

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
My cameras just record directly to my NAS box, with its very low end CPU and an HDD.
Save every 15 minutes.

What is the use case for these 20 cameras?
It’s a business and the building is big enough. I’m planning on blue iris software on a pc, I wanted a kit with an nvr box but ran into storage limits when I started calculated how much storage we’d need over a month.

alphadogg123

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
My Reolinks have their own multi camera software. No blueiris needed.

Your cameras may have similar.
I looked at the reo link software on a laptop that seemed to be struggling with h.265 and it didn’t seem to be recording just playing back, I thought it needed an SD card installed which seemed unreliable. Also I can run blue iris as a service so it auto starts with windows.
I’m really open to using reolinks software just need it work reliably.

USAFRet

Titan
I looked at the reo link software on a laptop that seemed to be struggling with h.265 and it didn’t seem to be recording just playing back, I thought it needed an SD card installed which seemed unreliable. Also I can run blue iris as a service so it auto starts with windows.
I’m really open to using reolinks software just need it work reliably.
As mentioned, mine record in 15 minute segments.
Recording to my NAS, but just as easily could record to a PC.

I only have the two, soon to be three, but viewing with the Reolink client on my PC is seamless.
H264, 2560x1920, 30fps, 7-8Mbps (variable). ethernet connected.

I do not know how it scales to 20.

alphadogg123

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
As mentioned, mine record in 15 minute segments.
Recording to my NAS, but just as easily could record to a PC.

I only have the two, soon to be three, but viewing with the Reolink client on my PC is seamless.
H264, 2560x1920, 30fps, 7-8Mbps (variable). ethernet connected.
where did you set the cams to record to the nas? In the reolinks playback software or camera web interface?

Yeah the laptop was a mess just did enough so I could get the cam setup at work quickly and struggled through the cams web interface, reo link software abe

I run blueiris but it eats a lot of cpu if you have it change the resolution or put overlays...like data and time..on the video. Best if you can feed exactly what you need from the camera and then tell blueiris to just write it to disk. My cpu fairly low with only 5 cameras. With 20 I would buy a cpu with a high clock rate.

alphadogg123

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
I run blueiris but it eats a lot of cpu if you have it change the resolution or put overlays...like data and time..on the video. Best if you can feed exactly what you need from the camera and then tell blueiris to just write it to disk. My cpu fairly low with only 5 cameras. With 20 I would buy a cpu with a high clock rate.
Thanks I’ve seen a few youtubers using 6th gen hd 630 which has h.265 decoding but it seems a good idea to skip to 11th or 12th with as many camera streams as I want to run.

USAFRet

Titan
where did you set the cams to record to the nas? In the reolinks playback software or camera web interface?

Yeah the laptop was a mess just did enough so I could get the cam setup at work quickly and struggled through the cams web interface, reo link software abe
My QNAP NAS has a built in Surveillance app.
I0r82kM.jpg

(For Days Recorded it says 1, because I reset it earlier today)

I can also watch them via the Reolink client on any PC or phone in the house.

alphadogg123

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
My QNAP NAS has a built in Surveillance app.
I0r82kM.jpg

(For Days Recorded it says 1, because I reset it earlier today)

I can also watch them via the Reolink client on any PC or phone in the house.
Ah that’s why I like blue iris. Apparently with qnap and synology you geta few camera licenses but beyond that you have to pay year on year. Blue iris by comparison charges for a year of updates, you don’t have to pay for an update yearly unless you want/need new updates.

USAFRet

Titan
Ah that’s why I like blue iris. Apparently with qnap and synology you geta few camera licenses but beyond that you have to pay year on year. Blue iris by comparison charges for a year of updates, you don’t have to pay for an update yearly unless you want/need new updates.
The QNAP includes 4, $0.

Apparently, they are $240 for another 4.
https://software.qnap.com/surveillance-station.html

Nothing said about rolling charges.

But the NewThing seems to be subscription based QVR Elite
https://www.qnap.com/en-us/software/qvr-elite

alphadogg123

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
The QNAP includes 4, $0.

Apparently, they are $240 for another 4.
https://software.qnap.com/surveillance-station.html

Nothing said about rolling charges.

But the NewThing seems to be subscription based QVR Elite
https://www.qnap.com/en-us/software/qvr-elite
I think we can agree that doesn’t scale beyond home use well plus the premium of buying a nas.
I looked at other softwares like shinobi with truenas but saw a reply on multiple forums stating the the developers will support you for $500 per hour.