Question Will a Windows Repair fix the problem I have ?

jarnie

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
Hello,

Recently I encountered a problem using MS Flight Simulator 2020 which I believe is something to do with W10.
I cannot COPY anything FROM any folder in the FS2020 installation. I can copy TO but not FROM.

If I do when I attempt to paste into any other folder I get the error -
error your organisation does not allow you to place this file here

I even cannot zip up any files (eg SEND to Zip) as when I try that nothing happens.

After posting questions in FS2020 forums I could not find anyone who said that they have the same problem.

I then decided to try installing FS2020 onto an old PC I have (using exactly the same method of installation) and it installed ok AND I can copy FROM on that PC so that makes me believe there is something wrong with Windows on my (new) PC.

The only difference between the two PCs is that I installed W10 on my OLD PC but W10 was installed by the PC shop who custom built my (new) PC.

Could it be something in the way the PC shop installed W10?

Is there a method to fix/repair W10 on the PC which will fix the problem I have and if so how?

Thanks

jarnie

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
Well I would hope it is a legit copy of W10 as the PC shop (very professional and with branches all around Sydney and been in business many years) who built my PC installed it AND it was itemised on the invoice as a separate item. I think that if they didn't install legit copies it would have been found out by now and they wouldn't be in business.
It is W10 HOME currently at 10.0.19043 build 19043
It is on the invoice as KW9-00139 Microsoft Window 10 Home 64 bit OEM $A159
I am currently waiting for them to reopen to get the 'key'.

jarnie

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
No it happens when attempt to copy from any folder in FS2020.

I am loath to uninstall and reinstall at this time as it is a very large (download) installation which takes house to do and if it doesn't fix the problem I have wasted all that time.
Could it be that the PC shop (according to the invoice) instlled an OEM version of W10?

In case this jogs someones memory and it 'points' to the reason I cannot copy filed FROM Microsoft Flight Simulator.

I copied an ascii file (a .TXT file) TO a folder in the FS2020 installation which worked without any errors or warnings BUT when I copy that same file FROM the folder in FS2020 I get the following warning:
"1 Interruption. Warning. Do you want to copy this file without encryption?"

jarnie

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
I have searched for "Do you want to copy this file without encryption" find that in

PROPERTIES > ATTRIBUTES > ADVANCED it shows "Encrypt Contents for security" selected/ticked but greyed out to prevent change.

When I check my new installation on my old PC the same files/folder it is UNTICKED.

Not sure if this is the answer BUT
How do I remove this 'flag' from all files and folders and prevent it being set in the future?

jarnie

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
Thanks. The 'game' automatically installs to the C: drive but as there was not enough room I selected my D: drive. Other people have also installed to different drives without problems.
I have searched for this encription and found the following -
Please note that EFS Encrypting File System is not available in the Windows Home Edition. You have to upgrade to Windows to Education, Enterprise, or Pro Edition to be able to use EFS.

So how would the flag set in the first place! I also have the game installed on a different (old) PC and the flag is not set there.

jarnie

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
Is this a clue to the problem?
I changed the Share This folder to Share for the entire disk.
I can COPY files FROM FS2020 but not folders.

Last edited:

jarnie

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
No it only seems to be FS2020 folders.
When I check the 'encrypt' flag from the 'root' folder down the flag is only set on the packages folder (and down).
To save typing the folder 'tree' I did a snapshot (below). All folders 'above' PACKAGES do NOT have the encrypt flag set.
Damn I can't work out how to attach a file or embed an image without a url.

d:\WpSystem\S-1-5-21-3005884429-703102537-2135364465-1001\AppData\Local\Packages

jarnie

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
No the PC was a PC shop built PC to my specifications. With a 512GB SDD partitioned into two logical drives, C: (for Windows and most other things) and D: for FS2020 (dedicated, nothing else on this drive).

jarnie

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
FYI

I decided to do a 'reset' of FS2020. After I did the 'reset' of FS2020 most of the installation got deleted but I was able to start FS2020 and then at "checking for updates" it allowed me to download (I am assuming) most of the regular installation (around 110Gb).
After the download I am now able to (which I had earlier problems with)-

COPY files FROM the FS2020 folders. It gives a warning that the file is encrypted (not sure if that happens with everyone) but allows the copy.

John