[SOLVED] Will a Wraith Prism cause throttling on the 3900x, with an RL06 case?

xxscienceboyxx

Honorable
Nov 30, 2018
Hello,
My case is the RL06. Will the Wraith Prism cause thermal throttling on the 3900x? I've heard some people saying that the 3900x can not be cooled adequately with the included Wraith Prism. However would this also happen in a case with very good airflow such as the RL06?

Solution
Hello,
My case is the RL06. Will the Wraith Prism cause thermal throttling on the 3900x? I've heard some people saying that the 3900x can not be cooled adequately with the included Wraith Prism. However would this also happen in a case with very good airflow such as the RL06?
That's nicely vented case but Wraith Prism is not enough even wit 2700x/3700x to allow for their best performance, maybe it will not throttle unless in extreme conditions but will limit boost (PBO) which starts giving up at 70c.
If they couldn't provide adequate cooler, AMD shouldn't include that cooler with anything above 6 cores like they did with Zen3 processors. Only 5600x now comes with that cooler.
Hello,
That's nicely vented case but Wraith Prism is not enough even wit 2700x/3700x to allow for their best performance, maybe it will not throttle unless in extreme conditions but will limit boost (PBO) which starts giving up at 70c.
If they couldn't provide adequate cooler, AMD shouldn't include that cooler with anything above 6 cores like they did with Zen3 processors. Only 5600x now comes with that cooler.

Solution

xxscienceboyxx

Honorable
Nov 30, 2018
How much better of a cooler should I get for it to make a difference? Would a Arctic Freezer 34 Esports work?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I was thinking of getting the 3070. Seeing as it is currently out of stock everywhere, I’m considering using a different GPU temporarily. But I would upgrade to the 3070 when it is available.
Does it dump heat into the chassis?
Any gpu that isn't a blower model or custom liquid pretty much does it.
8160-top.jpg
See those fins? They act as guides for the air that the fans have pushed into the heatsink.

I have the 3900x and stock cooler. Undervolting to like 1.235 or something, and manually setting my overclock allow it to cool just fine.

Stock voltage and pbo, no it couldn't handle it.

I have each ccd clock speeds set. They vary from 4.4 to 4.2 and in cinebench it might hit 70c, but gaming or when I'm rendering and its doing physics on 12 or so cores and the gpu going and it doesn't even 60c.

So a bit of tweaking in ryzen master and I can use the stock cooler and save money. Plus I like the 3 different light zones on the stock wraith cooler.

There are many ways to lower temps and keep them in check, limiting boost or setting low frequency, limiting voltage, but they all result in lower performance, lower than what you payed for.
Only good or oversized CPU and general cooling can let you have full performance for CPU and other components. Oversized cooling also brings lower noise which is inevitable even with most silent fans.
Arctic Freezer 34 Esports is for sure way better than original but I doubt it would be enough for full performance and cool enough temps, cool enough without having to make some other steps.

How much better of a cooler should I get for it to make a difference? ...

You're already getting lots of cooler advice...

Throttling describes what older CPU's did as they'd operate at rated clocks and then drop back to an extremely low clock speed when temp exceeded a threshold. That's not how Ryzen works. Ryzen boosts to it's maximum boost clocks only for light, bursty clocks and a single core at a time. As greater CPU demand starts using threads simultaneously it will first stop boosting to the maximum clocks. As temperature increases to "normal" (mid 70 average, not the spikes) it will limit it's boosting to mid-range clocks.

It works on a continuous scale so as it goes even higher (Ryzen 3000 Tjmax is 95C) it will pull back max boost clocks more and more. It's not unreasonable for a Ryzen CPU to operate in the mid 80's average under extreme, all-core, AVX workload but if you can cool it to keep in upper 70's average is best for performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: getochkn

xxscienceboyxx

Honorable
Nov 30, 2018
I decided to use the Wraith Prism for now, and to later change to a different cooler if necessary. I gave it good thermal paste, and turned the switch on it's side to high. I also have a high airflow case. With these things, the cooler does fine I think. Idle is around 34 degrees, and 100% load can get the CPU around 76 degrees.
So it cools fine, but it's a bit loud compared to the rest of my PC's components. I can understand how some people might find the noise annoying. But it's not really that annoying for me, because it's just a humming noise in the background.
I'll upgrade the cooler later though, to possibly get more performance.

Last edited: