Question Will adding 8gb of RAM help or is it pointless?

takearushfan82

Honorable
Jun 10, 2017
Hi everyone.

My PC is quite outdated so I'm considering adding another 8 gig stick of RAM.

My question is, based on my current specs, would it even help at all?

It's the only component I can afford to upgrade at the moment, being temporarily out of work. This computer is so laggy that I have to try SOMETHING though.

Also, my GTX 750 died and I'm considering getting a 1660 Super off eBay. Would that boost anything at all? I've never understood if a GPU helps speed in general or just while gaming.

I don't see what else would put more pep in its step other than the CPU and mobo being upgraded, which is currently out of my price range.

I don't want to downgrade to Windows 7. I'm not sure it would help anyway.

Here's my configuration (don't laugh, it was my first build😅)

Thanks for your time...

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/takearushfan/saved/#view=8VMWGX

Hi everyone.

My PC is quite outdated so I'm considering adding another 8 gig stick of RAM.

My question is, based on my current specs, would it even help at all?

It's the only component I can afford to upgrade at the moment, being temporarily out of work. This computer is so laggy that I have to try SOMETHING though.

Also, my GTX 750 died and I'm considering getting a 1660 Super off eBay. Would that boost anything at all? I've never understood if a GPU helps speed in general or just while gaming.

I don't see what else would put more pep in its step other than the CPU and mobo being upgraded, which is currently out of my price range.

I don't want to downgrade to Windows 7. I'm not sure it would help anyway.

Here's my configuration (don't laugh, it was my first build😅)

Thanks for your time...

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/takearushfan/saved/#view=8VMWGX
Get the proper bios and mobo drivers.

Clean out the unneeded crud from the storage.

That's all free.

Now run your stuff and see what's busy that will give a hint on the area that needs help.

Tough situation if Bob B's ideas don't help.

First obvious step is an SSD, getting rid of the spinning hard drive. I'd do that before more RAM....

Any SSD you buy today could be carried over to any rebuild. If you buy more DDR 3 RAM, it would be useless if you want to upgrade your motherboard when you have more money.

How long might you have to live with your current motherboard and CPU? 3 months, 3 years, 5 years?

Generally speaking....I'd be reluctant to spend on anything other than SSD and a video card until you can replace motherboard and CPU. I'm assuming you will definitely be getting a video card regardless because the GTX 750 is dead.

Maybe don't even get the SSD if that would delay the replacement of motherboard and CPU. All depends on when your finances improve.

takearushfan82

Honorable
Jun 10, 2017
I'm definitely getting the card. I didn't know the drive is so important to speed. It'll be at least a few months but I have to fix something in some way before then. I guess all that I can do is that would be

of any benefit is the card... I mean... now I'm confused.
My apologies for whatever is wrong with my phone that's screwing up trying to type. It didn't used to go bonkers like it is. I've had to restart 5 times because everything keeps jumping all over while I write.

I'm definitely getting the card. I didn't know the drive is so important to speed. It'll be at least a few months but I have to fix something in some way before then. I guess all that I can do is that would be

of any benefit is the card... I mean... now I'm confused.
My apologies for whatever is wrong with my phone that's screwing up trying to type. It didn't used to go bonkers like it is. I've had to restart 5 times because everything keeps jumping all over while I write.
As others have stated, your best option to put pep in it's step is to either replace your mechanical HDD with an SSD or to simply add an SSD to your current setup. Either way, you will then need to make your new SSD the boot disk (where Windows will reside).

Reactions: takearushfan82