[SOLVED] Will adding a new 5.25 inch device cause a serious problem of overheating?

Andrew_Werber

Prominent
Nov 24, 2020
My build can be found at https://pcpartpicker.com/user/andy_werber/saved/#view=tQBmD3. In particular, the case is a Thermaltake Versa H21 ATX Mid Tower Case and processor is AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (using the cooler that came with the processor). The choice of case was based on size requirements a need for at least one DVD drive. I have the greatest number of case fans allowed.

The computer is in an old fashioned computer bay in an oak desk. There's about 1.5 inches of clearance to each side and the back and front are completely open, although there is a book case as high as the desk 9 inches behind the computer.

I want to add a 5.25 inch device, which will block some air intake. I've been monitoring the CPU temperature using CPUID HW Monitor. The temperature of the processor ranges from a minimum of 34 C to around 73 C (it sometimes spikes to near 78 C when I'm running several programs.) By my casual observations, the processor usually runs between 50 and 65 C during normal use.

My main question is whether adding the device will cause a problematic increase in the temperature of the processor? Or, would there be a Bernoulli effect, and not change the airflow through the case?

As a side issue, is my processor running at a temperatures that could significantly shorten the lifetime of the computer? From what I've read, the temperatures are fairly normal for this processor.

Thank you for any help.

Solution
The new device should be fine. It may increase the temperature in the case by maybe 1-2c but nothing worth concerning about. As long as the fan isn't completely blocked off it should still add air into the system.

As for the CPU, those temps are fine. What really kills CPU faster is over-volting them. So unless you're overclocking beyond 1.325v on an all core overclock you should be fine.
The new device should be fine. It may increase the temperature in the case by maybe 1-2c but nothing worth concerning about. As long as the fan isn't completely blocked off it should still add air into the system.

As for the CPU, those temps are fine. What really kills CPU faster is over-volting them. So unless you're overclocking beyond 1.325v on an all core overclock you should be fine.

Solution
My build can be found at https://pcpartpicker.com/user/andy_werber/saved/#view=tQBmD3. In particular, the case is a Thermaltake Versa H21 ATX Mid Tower Case and processor is AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (using the cooler that came with the processor). The choice of case was based on size requirements a need for at least one DVD drive. I have the greatest number of case fans allowed.

The computer is in an old fashioned computer bay in an oak desk. There's about 1.5 inches of clearance to each side and the back and front are completely open, although there is a book case as high as the desk 9 inches behind the computer.

I want to add a 5.25 inch device, which will block some air intake. I've been monitoring the CPU temperature using CPUID HW Monitor. The temperature of the processor ranges from a minimum of 34 C to around 73 C (it sometimes spikes to near 78 C when I'm running several programs.) By my casual observations, the processor usually runs between 50 and 65 C during normal use.

My main question is whether adding the device will cause a problematic increase in the temperature of the processor? Or, would there be a Bernoulli effect, and not change the airflow through the case?

As a side issue, is my processor running at a temperatures that could significantly shorten the lifetime of the computer? From what I've read, the temperatures are fairly normal for this processor.

Thank you for any help.
Since the pc is in a computer bay of the desk take the side panel off the pc and test

Andrew_Werber

Prominent
Nov 24, 2020

Sorry for taking so long. This is what I was looking for, an estimate on whether this was a good idea. While actually testing is decisive, it's kind of hard for me move my machine around and oipen it.