Question Will adding a second ram module help my integrated gpu?

supreem

Reputable
Aug 2, 2016
Hello, I'm using a laptop with amd a8-6410 Apu and 8gb ram(1600mhz) with r5 integrated gpu. I'm planning to buy 2gb ram extra since some of my ram is used by my integrated gpu and have looked at 2gb 1600mhz ram for that. Will adding that benefit my integrated gpu interms of extra vram and maybe increase is speed/performance? I just play old games that's all.
Thank you.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hello, I'm using a laptop with amd a8-6410 Apu and 8gb ram(1600mhz) with r5 integrated gpu. I'm planning to buy 2gb ram extra since some of my ram is used by my integrated gpu and have looked at 2gb 1600mhz ram for that. Will adding that benefit my integrated gpu interms of extra vram and maybe increase is speed/performance? I just play old games that's all.
Thank you.

Good morning Supreem,

Whats the make & model of your laptop?

Ideally you'd be best served in having an additional 8GB of RAM for a total of 16GB (to run in dual channel) as opposed to the 2nd 2GB module. However, if $ is an issue, then yes, you'd be able to install an additional 2GB, but it wouldn't help all that much nor would it run in dual channel. Is your current 8GB 2 sticks or 1 single stick? (If the 8GB is in a single stick, it'll not be running in dual channel) If all you play is old games, I'd also suggest (if you haven't already) you max out the VRAM your dedicated on-board graphics had access to and if you really wanted better performance, then either get a base 2x4GB or 2x8GB depending on how much ram your Laptop can support.

Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

Sargento_Duke

Honorable
Aug 20, 2015
Thank you.

Hi, i am the Guru of Jaguar APUs, had the WORLD RECORD of any Jaguar performance and i can tell you how to boost your A8-6410:

Get 1x8gb low latency memory… its cheap (30$) (HyperX, Ripjaws, Ballistyx… all had 8gb with low latency for less tan 30$)

Running gaming memory i got 515+ points on passmark GPU test of my A6-6310 (same CPU as the A8-6410)

That cpus only support SINGLE CHANNEL so its better to get gaming memory (1866 CL11 or 1600 CL9) because lower timings = faster memory, adding 2gb only Will get you the ram go slower. Max memory is 16gb.

The CPU Will throttle to 1.4ghz instead of 2ghz max non turbo speed (remember using GPU disable turbo speed).

You can remove throttling too to but the APU Will get more hot.

GPU at 100% makes the CPU goes down to 1.4ghz... if you want it remains at 2gh it Will reach 25w or more so 80ºC.

See how much performance can reach the A8-6410(A6-6310) and similar Jaguar APUs with overclock and good memory!

WORLD OVERCLOCK RECORD LOL-> https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V9/display.php?id=83153021755 and whats your Performance Test rating?

Also to increase performance (if you dont know how to lock CPU at max speed) use the Catalyst oem drivers (old ones) go the gpu settings and disable antyaliasing and effects, set rendering to performance.

My A6-6310 can play Destiny2 at 15-25fps... anyway you dont need even memory, with your stock 8gb you can overclock your APU to get 25-35w performance and disable the 15w limit. (I dont know if i can tell you that here, or i Will open a thread on the Overclock section for the AMD Jaguars like A8-6410, its easy with "two programs" to overclock it)

Best regards.

Edit: I WILL UPLOAD A GUIDE TO OVERCLOCK ANY K16 GPU (A4/A6/A8) +50% PERFORMANCE, I WILL POST IT ON THE OVERCLOCK SECTION THIS WEEKEND =)

See the power of an A6-6310/A8-6410 and likely APUS:

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS