[SOLVED] Will all my steam games' saves be available on a new PC if steam cloud is enabled?

fragment0

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2015
Hi,

Just wanted to reconfirm something if someone had already tried it and/or knows for sure how it works, but I got a new computer, haven't hooked it up yet, but I don't feel like going through the process of backing steam folder up unless I really have no other choice, so I did a bit of re-search and noticed someone say that as long as you had your steam cloud enabled you didn't have to worry bout backing anything up and you could just install steam on a new computer while leaving everything as is on the old computer, install the game you played on your old machine, and you will have all your saves with everything working as if nothing happened with you being able to continue from the last save in game.

I have just checked to see if I had that ON cause I never even new that was a thing and I do see this:

1.png

I then went to properties of every game I wanted to continue playing from the last save I made after reinstalling it on new pc and they all show this:

2.png

Can someone confirm if the above means that I really don't have to do anything? I dont have to uninstall games on my old computer? I dont have to uninstall steam on my old computer? I can just install steam on my new PC then re-install the games I haven't completed yet and they would all have their saves? I should be able to continue from where I left off the last time I played them? I won't lose any of my saves/settings? Is that how it works or?

Thank you

Solution
As long as that option is available for the game, it will be backed up. However, some games, like Cities Skylines, still explicitly require you to make a Steam Cloud save. But that's the only game I've encountered where cloud saving is actually opt-in while in game.

Otherwise, for most games made since 2010, their save data is actually stored in your User folder, typically under Documents. So if you're worried about your saves, you don't actually have to back up the game from the Steam folder. Though older games may save in the game folder itself, you also just need to only back up the save folder.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Short answer, yes.

When you sign in it should give you the option to save from the cloud rather than the local PC. Of note, you can copy a part of the Steam folder from the old setup, to the new setup and direct the Steam overlay to that install location and everything is the same without having to download them again .

Reactions: fragment0
As long as that option is available for the game, it will be backed up. However, some games, like Cities Skylines, still explicitly require you to make a Steam Cloud save. But that's the only game I've encountered where cloud saving is actually opt-in while in game.

Otherwise, for most games made since 2010, their save data is actually stored in your User folder, typically under Documents. So if you're worried about your saves, you don't actually have to back up the game from the Steam folder. Though older games may save in the game folder itself, you also just need to only back up the save folder.

Solution