Will AMD Athlon II X3 Rana 3.3 GHz 95 Watt work with only 4 pin power?

Tom_W27

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
I have searched for some time now looking for an answer to this and I have been unable to find it. I bought a power supply to replace my old one several months ago and now my motherboard seems to be shot (I'm pretty sure it is not related to the new power supply) so I need to replace my motherboard now. Since I have an AM2 socket CPU right now I'm just going to upgrade that too so that I can get an AM3 motherboard with DDR3 RAM. However, money is an issue so I don't want to replace my power supply as well and it only has a 4 pin 12V connector instead of the 8 pin.

Here's the specs of the computer I'm looking to build:

ASUS M5A97 Motherboard
AMD Athlon II X3 455 Rana 3.3GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor
680 Watt power supply
EVGA Nvidia GTS 250 Video Card

So the main question is will the CPU get enough power through the 4 pin power connector instead of the 8 pin?

I know a bit about computers but I'm by no means an expert. I appreciate any responses.

Tom_W27

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Ok awesome, thanks for the reply. And I shouldn't have stability issues or anything? What wattage would the processor need to be to require the 8 pin connector?

Baralis

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

I have a Rana 445 unlocked to a quad core which raises wattage requirement (approx 125 Watt) and I only have a 4 pin connection. I have had no stability issues in the 15 months I have ran it.